EE hen shedding her beard! What is it? (With pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenCharmer, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BEFORE

[​IMG]

DURING

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

Willow the EE hen has now completely shed her beard, which used to be her (and my) pride and joy. She used to have the biggest bushiest beard ever, and now it's gone. Is it just a molt (her other plumage looks fine) or some weird problem? Please reply. [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    She is just molting. Nothing to worry about. Here is one of my EEs that is molting. Notice her beard.

[​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes molting can do that. My Amercuana bantams have that and when it gets cooler, they grew back.

4. Are you sure??? The rest of her plumage is perfect and shows no signs of molting whatsoever. Only her beard is missing!

5. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Songster

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    If she is molting, you'll probably notice more feathers falling out. Right now one of my roosters is molting around his vent and between his legs. He looks funny "naked" but at least I don't have to trim them to keep the poo off. You shouldn't be too worried quite yet. I've learned that BYCers are usually right, so if they say she's molting... she most likely is.

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    You have a feather picker...

7. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think the beard embarassed her and she decided to shave. Now she looks like the other girls!!

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    First check her very carefully for lice and mites. Especially at the base of the feathers. Do you see any creepy crawleys? Is she scratching that area excessively? Are the other chickens plucking her feathers and eating them?

Lets start there.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing feather picker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: