1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE hen won't stand...possible leg injury...maybe egg bound? Need advice...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DawnB, Oct 12, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

I have a 6mo old EE hen who's having issues. Of course, I was out of town when she was found by our 'chicken sitter' about 11am yesterday. She was laying in the coop panting and wouldn't get up. I thought she may be egg bound. I had our friend separate her but I didn't get back home till almost 12hrs later.

When we got home, I got her I to a warm bath, massaged her tummy and gave her some electrolytes and extra oyster shells. She took the oyster shell & some water right away. She was very calm in the bath but very alert. I checked her over really well but couldn't find any obvious injury and no obvious "egg" lump.. Her crop was empty last night. I kept her isolated overnight and under a heat lamp most of the night.

This morning, I bathed her again...still no egg. When i put her back in the box, she seemed to be trying to stand and went right for the food. Still wasn't sure on the egg bound bit...but i had to go out for a couple hours. When I got back, she had laid her egg! It was whole and didn't look larger than ordinary. Her crop was full and she had been drinking.

I gave her another bath just to soothe her. She was trying to get her feet under her, but I noticed she seemed to now be favoring her right leg. I checked her out as I dried her off. Nothing seemed swollen, hot to touch or felt broken. She was moving both legs on her own and didn't seem to be in pain if I moved them.

So...thoughts? Recommendations? Protocols? Thanks!

Dawn

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would probably keep her separated for a few days to let her rest the leg, in case it's something like a pulled or strained muscle, twisted joint, etc. I don't know about the heat; I'd be sure she can get away from it if she wants. I hope she feels better.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

I only had her under heat because she was still wet from the bathing and I didn't want her to get chilled. It's off now and she seema fine with that.. She's still not standing, but is eating and pooping like a champ and is pretty alert. We'll keep a watch on her foe a few days longer. I'm going to move her out to a dog pen in my garage tomorrow. It'll gove her more of a chamce to stretch and move a bit more.

Will it be OK to put her on straw or would it be too slippery on her legs?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know why straw would be slippery, but then I've never used it, only hay and pine shavings. Surely she would appreciate some sort of softness under her, and to make a nest in. I guess if you want to be very sure there is no slipperiness, you could put rags under her, at least for a few days.

If she has been on a slippery surface, that could explain a leg injury, right there. I hope time heals her up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by