EE hens color of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spookyone, Nov 2, 2011.

1. spookyone

spookyone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi, Well one of my EE hens layed today. cream color. I haven't seen any blue or green yet. Once they lay one egg will that be the color everytime? also will EE hens lay brown eggs ?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

congratulations on the first egg from your EE.

Conventional wisdom goes that a chicken always lays the same color. Thus, this EE will be laying cream. Some variations exist though, during the length of laying a 'clutch' the color will fade slightly toward the end of that clutch. This would be most noticable in dark colored layers.

Sometimes when a pullet is just getting started, there can be subtle variations, so her cream color could change a little as she gets all her laying mechanism in gear. Yes, EEs can lay brown. From what I have heard, they can lay any color----they are a mixture of breeds but among the mix is a blue-egg gene.

If it changes post back and update the forum.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:That is most likely going to be her egg color and yes EE's can lay Brown eggs.

Chris

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have two Easter Eggers and the one that I know is laying is also laying a light cream color. I'm still hoping for a blue or green egg from Sylvia if she ever decides to lay some eggs. So far Hawk's has always been the light cream color. [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    ideally EEs lay blue to green eggs. However, they are not a breed, and have no standardization. So they can lay any color under the sun.

6. 00BlasterResto

00BlasterResto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    indiana
    I have 2 EE's one that lays a light cream colored egg and one that layed her first egg 2 days ago (at 8 months old) and it is blue. I was thrilled.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm sorry you didn't get your blue or green egg. EE's can lay any color of egg including creme color.

I was lucky and got one blue/green and one olive egger. The good news is all the eggs taste FABULOUS! Doesn't matter what color, they are all great tasting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by