EE is 32wks old &still no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss jay's mama, Dec 28, 2008.

1. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    I know every hen lays at her own rate but isn't 32wks a really long time? Out of the three EEs I know one is definately laying maybe two are. I usually get three eggs a day. Two brown(from the BRs) and one green. Now I saw two EEs in the nest box. One wasn't sitting in there like the other hens more or less just hanging out but I'll guess maybe she is laying. So what does everyone think. Is it possible she still isn't laying or are the three eggs I get a day coming from all five taking turns??

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have 3 EEs. 2 are 8 months old. One lays a light brown egg, one lays a cream colored with a tint of yellow in it egg. I count myself lucky if they each give me two a week. (the other EE is only about 15 weeks old.)

3. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Mine 2 Ameracaunas just started laying the other week, they are 25 wks old. My RHR's started laying at 19wks old. They usually use the same nest box, they don't care if there are already eggs in there. Do you feed layer feed? Also, do they squat when you pet them? That's a good sign!

4. miss jay's mama

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Yes I do feed them layer. They do make all kinds of noise when I pet them. I'm sure one of the noises would be considered a sqwauk. All of there pea combs seem larger now, I think that is a sign they are ready to lay but I'm not sure. I find they lay in any nest box that has a fake egg in it. OOoops I just realized you wrote squat not sqwauk. No none of them squat when I pet them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    Squating is a position that the girls assume when the rooster mounts them. The hen will also do it when you go to pet or pick it up. Which tells you she is ready to or is laying eggs.
    I got 2 EE's so I would have some green or blue eggs.....no they don't lay blue or green ones but white with brown speckles!! Dang hens. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. miss jay's mama

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Just an update. I am now getting 2 green eggs and 2 brown eggs almost every day. But I'm still not sure if all 3 EEs are laying. On close inspection I can tell a slight color variation one is more of a darker olive green and one is more of a pastel green. new update all 3 EEs are definately laying. I saw the pullets in question in action today:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by