EE is back to laying eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChixMama, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ChixMama

ChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Our EE, Ethel, has taken a long break from laying eggs & I was starting to wonder if she'd ever start again. [​IMG] I've been reading other posts about similar issues & just decided to be patient. After spending the day away from home we came back and my daughter was asked to gather eggs & let the girls in the yard. Lo and behold.....there was a green egg in there AND it was finally in a nest box!!! Way to go Ethel. [​IMG] My 11 year old daughter was excited and I was almost hysterical when I saw what she had written on the calendar--
    "Ethel's First Lay"!!! [​IMG] My stomach still hurts!! [​IMG]

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    ROFL at your daughter's note!

So how long has Ethel taken off from laying? How old is she?

Where's the picture?!

3. ChixMama

ChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Ethel is 8 months old and she's taken a break from laying for at least 3 weeks. She didn't go through a full molt--no lost feathers. However it sounds like EEs are prone to taking a vacation from laying eggs according to some of the posts I've read on the board. I'm glad she's back because she lays the biggest egg and is very consistent--when she's laying. My daughter took a pic, but I haven't downloaded them yet. Glad my daughter's note gave you a chuckle, too [​IMG]

4. thomaske

thomaske New Egg

Feb 23, 2010
    Okay. We have 15 laying hens and two of them are EEs. All of the hens are laying regularly but both EEs have not layed an egg in well over two weeks. I guess I will be patient as well and see what happens. They certainly look healthy and are eating and foraging just fine. Glad I saw your post and yes, I also got a giggle out of your daughter's note:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by