EE is limping

UnlabeledMama

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Western North Carolina
Now that we have our big outside run finished I've been able to really watch our chickens (12 weeks old). I noticed one seems to be limping. I picked her up and checked her feet and wings and they seem fine. But I also noticed that her tail feathers seems to go sideways instead of straight out. I felt in her feathers and there seems to be a hump around the hip area? Could this be an injury? Or a malformation? I didn't see anything like it when she was a chick.

I'm guessing she has wry tail, a defect and it won't go well for her, I am sorry to say.
You might want to check out this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ors-anyone-want-to-follow-their-progress/2810

Somewhere wry tail around November 5th was discussed. Her whole pelvic structure could be out of whack and that can cause the limp and pain. There are pics of a chicken with this problem after butchering that show how off things were. Believe me I am just guessing, but it sure sounds like it.
sad.png

I found it finally....page 241 of that thread.

Last edited:
sad.png
That sounds like a possibility. Here is a picture, you can see it from here. Henna is the white and black EE.

I have actually started thinking that "Henna" is actually a rooster. My daughter is SO fond of this chicken! I thought we would go ahead and keep him/her unless there was behavior problems, but it doesn't sound like I should let him breed if he has genetic issues! Argh! My daughter would be heartbroken if we need to cull Henna!

There are so many more people on here that can give you a better idea than I can, you might want to post your problem in the Road less traveled thread or the Old timers thread. Have you examined Henna for any foot or leg issues?

There is a good example of wry tail on a pullet that was just posted to the "Road Less traveled" thread, page 463 post #4622...it's on an EE
that looks to be the same color etc. as yours! If it is wry tail and if Henna is Henna and not Henry, then there will be egg bound problems likely.

Back
Top Bottom