EE laying age?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by scraig724, Aug 23, 2016.

1. scraig724

scraig724 New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    I am finding all kinds of conflicting information on when EEs lay. I got my girls in June (2 australorps, 1 EE). They were full grown and not laying yet. My australorps began laying about 2 weeks after getting them but my EE has yet to start. She screams at the roo if he tries to mount her and her comb is finally starting to redden. Am I at all close to get starting? I was hoping she'd go before the cold weather hits and my other two slow on their laying.

*pic from the day she arrived*[​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    My EE was hatched back in early December and had not laid. She started squatting and getting redder a month ago. The other pullets (no EE) I got at the same time, same age, started laying by April. (Sigh). I've read they lay late and 8 months is typical.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would imagine that since EE's are not a breed, but a combo, they will not necessarily follow any "expected" age of laying (if such do exist, my pullets have not read the manual).

CT

1 person likes this.
  4. snywalker

snywalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    X2

It really depends what they are a mix of. Some lay really early, some really late.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    EEs aren't just any random mix/combo/mutt... Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to derive other breeds from them. They just don't have a "standard".

6. scraig724

scraig724 New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll keep watching her like crazy and hoping it's sooner than later *fingers crossed*

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Since Easter Eggers have not been bred to any sort of standard, there is a huge range for what is 'normal'. Some start at 18 to 20 weeks, others don't lay until they are over 30 weeks.
    Hatchery sourced Easter Eggers are NOT mixed breeds. They just haven't been bred to a common standard.

8. Darrahs

Darrahs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Davis, Ca
    Our EE pullets are 25 weeks yesterday and no eggs or even squatting yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by