1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE laying brown egg-is this right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PetChickenBoo, Dec 31, 2010.

1. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It appears my EE chicken is laying pale brown eggs. I'm very disappointed as I was hoping to have a shade of green. Is my chicken an exception?

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    EE'ers can lay any color of egg as they are "mutts" . It helps ur chances of getting a green or blue egg if u know they came from that color. 50/50 chance.

3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    it's luck of the draw with ee's

mine lay blue (x3) green (x1) and a cream color.. light brownish i guess(x1)

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Yep, perfectly normal for an EE. Sorry... It might be a 'tinted' egg. Their brownish eggs are said to have a pinkish tint. I'm sure there are pictures around the forum somewhere...

I'm still waiting for my ladies to lay. So long as at least one of the three lays green or blue I'll be happy... [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I thought one of my EEs was laying tan eggs, so I can understand your disappointment. I was really sad about mine. She stunned me by just being an incredibly late bloomer. Turns out she wasn't laying the tan eggs at all. I have just 2 EEs, and one lays an olive egg and one lays a mint green egg.

Sorry about your EE. It may be a good excuse to get a few more.

Good luck.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could post a pic of her? Maybe she's not an EE. Does she have a pea comb? I've heard that's supposed to be related to the green eggs.

7. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. Here she is.....as far as I know she's an EE.
    [​IMG]]

I guess I just got one that doesn't lay pretty eggs. Oh well, she's a great chicken anyway.

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Oh, ya. She's an EE. My Scrambles is almost identicle.

This pic is a bit old but you can see the similarities. Sounds like your lady just took after the non-EE parent.
    [​IMG]

9. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Bummer that she lays brown eggs. She is a beautiful bird though! By the way, I love the dog in your avatar, looks a lot like my Riot. They are great dogs.

[​IMG]

10. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    okay, yall' are making me post my EE that looks similar now [​IMG]

This is Moulan, she lays a large Blue egg.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by