EE Laying brown eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tulie13, Sep 8, 2009.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I have 23 hens and I'm starting to get 4-5 eggs a day. I have EE's, BO's, and SS. I know I have seen one of my EE's sitting in a particular area of my coop (of course NOT the nesting box... [​IMG] ). Later I found 2 eggs in that area, so I'm assuming one came from the EE and one from another hen.

My sister's EE has started laying olive-green eggs - when you crack them open, the inside of the shell is blue. So it's like a blue egg with the brown coating on top of the blue, making the outside look olive green.

My problem - NO green, blue, olive-green or otherwise "blue-green" eggs. I have 5 EE out of 23 hens, why aren't I seeing any "blue-green" eggs? They are all brown, pinkish-brown, slightly speckled light brown (with little white spots, like some of the brown tint didn't coat evenly).

Anyone else have this problem with hatchery EE birds? They are sweet, regardless, and I like them, but DANGIT I wanted some blue-green eggs!!! Do I need to start over with some more EE chicks from a different hatchery? I ordered these from Meyer - anyone else have Meyer EE hens? How are your eggs, blue-green or different?

If I knew the EE's wouldn't lay blue-green eggs, I would have gotten a different breed or just stuck with the BO's and SS... [​IMG]

2. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    My first EE to lay, laid a brown egg! The second one laid an olive green egg so there's still hope. I still have two EEs that haven't laid yet.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Find one of my last topics and you'll see two EE eggs of mine. Light green & olive. The brown eggs are from my SLW's. EE's can lay brown eggs too! Be patient!

4. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:What do you mean about "being patient? If the EE lays brown eggs, will they ever "change" to blue-green? Or did I get a "dud" EE that will ALWAYS lay brown eggs? (you know what I mean, still sweet chickens, but I was hoping for 5 out of 23 eggs to be blue-green for some variety in my eggs - I intend to SELL them and I thought that would be a really cool marketing thing).

5. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

The sales fliers here stated EEs can lay blue, green, pink, cream, or brown eggs. It's nothing wrong with an EE that lays a brown egg. No guarentees that if you get more EEs that you'll get the green or blue eggs either. Just one of those things.

BTW, if she starts out with brown eggs, she'll always lay brown eggs. The shade of brown may change some, but it won't become a green or blue layer.

I also have 6 EEs. Of those, one lays a green egg every other day. One has been laying a soft shelled mint green egg. I am getting a cream colored egg that must be from an EE, and a pink egg. So far none of them are laying the same color!

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Perhaps she was laying on someone else's egg or you just have to be patient and see what your other EE's lay. That is what I meant by patient. They will always lay the same color egg. My Rosie (in avi) lays light green eggs. She always will. I hope you get some colorful eggs!

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Mine only laid brown eggs. (drat it)

8. tulie13

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Thanks for the feedback - I think I have all brown egg layers... [​IMG]

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If you have 23 hens, and only 4-5 eggs a day, then a lot of them aren't laying yet! I think it would be rather unusual for all 5 EEs to lay brown eggs, not the norm. Can you see if the EE's are squatting? or try putting a dab of food coloring on their vent. I have three EEs--one blue layer, one green, and one that likes to sit, but never produces an egg [​IMG] . All Ideal hatchery.

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:What do you mean about the food coloring on there vent? and how often do you have to do this? Do you just do this to suspected layer to confirm that they are the layers? of a particular egg? Sorry still just learning all this stuff. Thanks Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by