EE laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hello! One of our last 2 girls to lay has now started laying (the EEs were later than the rest) and her eggs are brown. Will they change to blue or green?

Tim

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    No, I believe the color they start laying will be the color they lay until they croak. Maybe your EE is laying pink tinted eggs. Do you have pictures?

3. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I was told just yesterday by some one who used to raise them that they may change tint, but not color. She said that a pale green layer may change to a less pale green , a pink may go deeper pink now again, but a pink layer wouldn't switch to a green. I thought maybe it was like hydrangeas where you can effect the color, but she said no.

I guess, though, if the whites & yolks are the right colors, then it doesn't matter too much.

4. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The darkest are the RIRs. The light brn eggs are the BRs...(biggest) the left ones (at least 2 of them) are the EE. Our girls are Henny Penny & Chicken Little (RIRs), Noreen & Doreen (BRs) and Golda & Amber Lynn (EEs)....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have an EE hen that lays a deep pinkish egg.........she has for 10 months and it has darkered but still had the same color. Are you sure its hers?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by