EE laying newbie eggs after 10 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimgh, Mar 28, 2009.

1. jimgh

jimgh New Egg

Jul 22, 2008
    Portland, OR
    So I have two EEers that started laying in mid-January. One of them has been laying odd eggs for the past month. Sometimes they have splotches of deposits (I don't know how to explain them) over the egg. The last time I noticed this, I rubbed it a little and it rubbed off like a powdery substance. Other times it's the type of egg you expect when they first start laying - not a strong shell or no outer shell at all.

The funny thing is - her first month of laying she gave perfectly fine eggs! I've been putting oyster shells in with their food, thinking it might be a calcium thing but it hasn't helped much. I have 3 other hens who are all getting the same diet, but I haven't had a problem with them.

Anyone else seen this? The deposits on the eggs is what I find really strange. I've never heard about that before - I have heard about weak shells. Does she just need more time getting used to laying? Or maybe her body just has different needs?

thanks!

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I am not sure, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will see this soon.

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have 3 EE's who all started laying in mid January. Nice, large well formed eggs, one blue, one green and one a light olive green color. Just the past week one of the EE's began laying long very slender eggs. The color is still great and the shell is strong, they're just small.

I figure it's just a phase and soon the responsible culprit will get back on track. If not, then I have cute little eggs!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have one of my hens used to lay nice brown eggs but for the last few months she has been laying huge cream colored eggs with the pointy end a little darker. Don't know why but the eggs inside is fine.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sometimes it takes a while to get the egg laying machinery up and going.

Always have free choice oyster shell available.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I get this too once in awhile.

The funny thing is - her first month of laying she gave perfectly fine eggs! I've been putting oyster shells in with their food, thinking it might be a calcium thing but it hasn't helped much. I have 3 other hens who are all getting the same diet, but I haven't had a problem with them.

I put my oyster shells in a separate dish as free choice.

Anyone else seen this? The deposits on the eggs is what I find really strange. I've never heard about that before - I have heard about weak shells. Does she just need more time getting used to laying? Or maybe her body just has different needs?

thanks!

There is a thread about this citing some articles about the deposits on eggs. I will do a search and try to find it.​

7. jimgh

jimgh New Egg

Jul 22, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the info. I was looking for a post about deposits on the eggs, but not knowing how anyone else would describe them I probably wasn't searching on the right words.

I've just been adding the oyster shells to the feed. I'll start putting them in a separate dish - see if that helps at all.

Just this morning I found 2 shell-less eggs out in the chicken run - so I guess Bunny isn't the only freak anymore... [​IMG]

8. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Deposits can be extra calcium deposits if they are bumps on the eggs. I also get red spots -- liver deposits or blood...i can't remember. I also get some eggs where the shell did not get hard. I keep oyster shell out, feed a high quality of food for layers, etc. but still have the problems. Finally I have gone to mixing bits of the oyster shell in their food.

I have found that when I feed them treats high in calcium, egg production goes up. I also give them yogurt occassionally (when I get it made).

9. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    One of my EE'er laid a long slender egg this morning. good color just a VERY weird look. Must have been easier to have though:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by