EE laying

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
My EE's are about 24 wks I really want a blue egg. faces are red when do you think I could be getting eggs

With EEs in can vary by months. If they're not getting extra light, they may wait until spring. 1 of mine started at 21 weeks and the rest followed within the next month. For eggs they needed 12 to 14 hours of light and a minimum of 16% protein feed. I use 20% protein feed to offset tablescraps, vegetation and cracked corn. Some people feed cat food to up the protein. Good luck! I hope you get your blue eggs, mine were all green. So I got some Ameraucanas. Now I have a few blue eggs.

Yeah, you almost never get a blue egg from EEs. Usually green. Maybe a little "blue-ish". With it being winter you never know when they might begin.

If they are getting red it probably won't be too much longer. The EE's usually lay some shade of green though. If you want blue eggs you'll be better off getting a purebred. Hope they lay soon for you!
fl.gif

They were sold as Ameraucana from a hatchery so not to get to excited I just say they are EE's since most come from hatchery. And is it true if you hatch a chick from blue egg it should carry blue egg gene.

Quote:
I bought Ameraucanas from a hatchery, but they're really EEs. Then I bought Ameraucanas from breeders.
Yes chicks hatched from a blue egg will have a blue egg gene. Green eggs are blue genes (look at the inside of the shell) mixed with brown genes.
Look in the index for the Genetics section, there are some very good discussions about egg genes.

Last edited:
Sounds like we're in the same boat. My 2 EE's are 29 wks have had red coloring for a month or more and I'm still waiting. It's a little embarrassing, I have had more than one dream of finding blue eggs in the nest box only to wake up and realize I'm still waiting
sad.png
At least my other 2 girls started laying a couple weeks ago. Good luck hope you get one soon.

adam

Back
Top Bottom