1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE Legs!!! help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickendude9, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chickendude9

chickendude9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Snohomish, WA.
    I have 1 EE and its legs are HUGE and thick compared to my other chicks. Is this a sign of it being a roo?? :( They are 10 say old.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's hard to say without a photo and even that may not help at such an early age. But, at 6 weeks when they are feathered, I have found that most EEs are easily sexed by feather pattern.

3. chickendude9

Mar 17, 2013
    Snohomish, WA.
    Yeah, I'm hoping it's not a roo because we have to give he/she away if it is:(

4. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Bummer. Did you buy this chick as straight run?

5. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeah it might be a straight run or a pullet

6. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Straight run means the chicks are as hatched, unsexed. If you buy one that way, it's a coin flip whether you get a male or female. If you buy a hatchery-sexed pullet, you almost certainly have a pullet. If it was amateur-sexed, I'd consider it straight run.

FWIW, I've had an accidental EE cockerel in a sexed pullet order and there was not a hint of his gender until he sprouted brick red blotches on his white wings. No thick legs, no attitude and he sprouted feathers as fast as the females. The lead pullet EE of the group, OTOH, has long, thick legs and lots of attitude. With them being mixes, I think it the usefulness of those sorts of comparisons out the window.

7. chickendude9

Mar 17, 2013
    Snohomish, WA.
    pretty sure straight run because the lady at my local co- op said there was a good chance of getting all hens but roosters are still a possibility..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by