EE Markings?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ceeceeholt, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have spent some time going through the threads of EE's, colors, markings, combs, etc! I read that black and white usually mean boy, but partridge(ish) feathering is girl. Now I am kind of confused on 3 of mine. I have a black EE that is 10 weeks, has goldish markings on neck, but I think she has partridge(ish) feathering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then 2 days ago I looked at Baby Ruth, she is orange/gold with dark in the back, but her comb is a single pea but now very red, feathers do not look partridge(ish)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last is Butterfinger now has some weird curly feathers on the top by her tail feathers, goldish in color with black, but she does have the partridge(ish) feathers

[​IMG]

I think maybe I'm just reading to much and since I'm new to chickens, I'm seeing Roo everywhere!!
    Thanks for any help you have for me!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Need head shots of the combs, but so far I see nothing that screams roo.

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:x2 we need to see the combs on Baby Ruth and Butterfinger. I see all pullets but if Babyruth has a red comb, probably a roo.... pics......

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are all girls. Redder combs means they're getting ready to lay.

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    The only one I am slightly unsure on is Baby Ruth. The others are definitely girls. Baby Ruth is most likely a girl, but I'm not good enough at this to say 100% on her.

6. EEs come in nearly every color there is out there, so color pretty much means nothing gender wise. I would say all pullets, EE hens tend to have fairly large combs. An EE hen I got had a comb larger than my Ameraucana Roo.

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    WHEWWWWWWWWWW....Thank you all for answering! Hershey the dark one, just looks, I don't know, scary? LOL I'm going to stop staring at them and thinking every little change means something new. I'll do the whole, lay an egg or crow!! [​IMG]

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Your gold partridge and Butterfinger are 100% girls. I'm not sure on Baby Ruth, leaning towards boy just based on color. But that said, I have a girl myself that is that color and has the darker red on her wings. She lays me a pretty blue egg almost every day! I don't think she had the red that young, though. I am pretty sure it didn't develop until she was laying age. But if Baby Ruth has a small comb that isn't red, she's probably a girl. [​IMG]

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    All 100% female. EE males have different color patterns altogether.

10. MissChicken

MissChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Canada
    The last picture (Butterfinger), are you sure that is an EE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by