EE mix question

Grindlefamily

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Fairfield, ME
I have 1 week old chicks - they are mix - dad was barred rock and some of the hens were EE. I noticed tonight that one of the chicks legs look to be turning green, but he/she doesn't have any puffy cheeks. If it is a female, could she lay green eggs? LOL just curious - they are all so cute, trying to figure out which to keep and which to give up.

I have some with puffy cheeks whose legs are a great pink/yellow color LOL not green at all.

Louella

I think it's possible, but I don't know if a green legged chick would be any more likely than the pink legged to lay a colorful egg.

I have had three EE mix offspring with green legs and they all lay brown eggs.
roll.png

Hopefully someone with genetics knowledge will lend their opinion.
smile.png

so..my ameracaunas legs should be green?...what does that mean?..sorry..i ask dumb questions:confused:...wendy

Quote:
Wendy,

Real ameraucanas have slate (blue) legs and/or black legs if they are the black, blue or silver variety.

Green legs are an indicator of easter eggers.

well...i just checked mine...heres what i see....for my amercaunas.(wheatons, i think)....they are about 3 weeks old..thier legs are pink..with..a very slight greenigh hue..(very slight)...if i wasnt looking..they'd be pinkish color.and only on the leg part..not the feet......now...for my aracaunas...they are only a day or 2 old..the lighter ones legs are pink....the more reddish one..with alot of blk. on her..her legs are pinkish..with a very slight slate over the pink(i hope i'm making sense)...wonder if i got ripped off?:thun..wendy..

Don't worry, wheatens, blue wheatens and buffs usually hatch out with pink or "skin" colored legs. They darken as the bird gets older.

As they darken, they can look as if they are green, but they are not. Give those birdies a little time and I bet you will see the legs turn the correct color.

On araucanas the standards for leg color is different. I am pretty sure on the white variety the legs are supposed to be yellow.

So your babies are on the right track.
thumbsup.gif

clap.gif
.. Great!....i've wanted these guys for so long now..i'm excited i finally got them!..thanks, Wendy

Back
Top Bottom