EE mixed chicks, won't hold still for pictures! Question about sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HHandbasket, Aug 8, 2010.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I recently acquired 3 adorable EE/mutt chicks (mom was a beautiful golden EE, father was a gamefowl). I'm hoping they turn out to be olive-eggers! At any rate, one was hatched ~July 9, one ~July 13, and one definitely July 16, so they are 3 and 4 weeks old, respectively. Anyway, the oldest and youngest are both developing noticeable combs already and are chest-butting each other and challenging one another. I'm thinking they're little roos/cockerels. The one that I believe is a pullet has completely different behavior & no signs of a developing peacomb as yet (she was the 2nd of the 3 to hatch). At first, only the oldest would "stand guard" over the other 2, but then the youngest began to exhibit the same behavior. Over the last 4 or 5 days, I've noticed a small developing comb on both chicks, ever-so-slightly larger, however, on the older of the 2. They are only a week apart and look very similar to one another in size, degree of feathering, etc. The younger one, however, is showing signs of missing feathers on one shoulder. The one I believe to be a young pullet is much more mellow, just wants to eat and scratch for bugs in the raised beds & sits while the other 2 stand watch over her & chest-butt one another.

I wish they would be still enough to let me get pix. I've been trying to get pix to post for 2-3 days now! Since I can't get the pics, thought I would at least describe their characteristics/behavior and see what some of the more experienced chickeneers here think. From what I've described, does it sound like those 2 are males?

Thanks for any thoughts y'all can share. In the meantime, I'm going to keep trying to get pictures. They're SO adorable. Starting to feather in pretty good but still hard to tell what they're going to look like.
  2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    welcome to chickaholic asc. I had a nice little flock of 12, got 5 more this spring and then my hens started going broody, now we have 12 more and I know at least 4 are rooster and I don't need more roosters. those 2 sound like they could be rooster, my 2 did that chest bump too at 8 or 9 weeks one has started to crow. Mine have a EE daddy and asst. momma's 2 of the newest 6 have longer tails I think they are rooster.EE do not have much of a comb or waddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by