EE Mom, Turken Dad = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by superchemicalgirl, Dec 9, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Hi. I'm throwing some eggs in my incubator on Saturday to participate in the new years hatch. I want some more easter eggers cause I love the green eggs. I have 3 hens, but my roo is a turken.

Has anyone done this cross (I didn't find much info when I searched) and do any of the f1 hens lay green eggs? Do the chicks/hens have muffs or does the turken take over with the lack of upper body hair?

Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There are people who've done this before. Someone in SC even sells hatching eggs of frizzled, naked necked Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

The offspring will have small beard/muffs, but I'm not sure how much they would show up. Since they're half naked neck, they'll have a large "bowtie" on their neck of feathers, and they'll have more feathering on their face. But, this depends on your own Turken if he's actually purebred. (A LOT of hatchery "Turkens" are not purebred)

The offspring will give a 50% chance of green eggs, the others will lay brown eggs. (look for pea combs in the offspring - They will lay the colored eggs) If the hens were blue egg layers though, you'd get much better chances.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Excellent! Thank you so much for the information! My turken is most definitely not anywhere close to pure bred anything. I got him at a TSC swap for 50 cents (LOL, but a good buy nonetheless) and he's from a turken dad and a half banty something non NN mom. I figured some of the chicks wouldn't even be NN but I'd really like some more green eggers, NN or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by