EE not laid at all in 2 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbohn80, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    my ee hasnt laid in just over 2 months, prior to this she was my best layer with an egg everyday. i understand that there should be a drop off with less daylight but to stop all together doesnt seem right. my other 7 birds are still giving me an average of 5-6 eggs a day. anyone has any ideas? even my ducks are laying when everyone says they wont start until the spring. thanks for any help

2. cbohn80

May 2, 2011
    nj
    if it helps i do use artificial light for the last 2 weeks and it hasnt helped.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They typically won't lay when they molt, and some can be slow to start back after a molt.

4. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I agree with CelticaOaks. My best layer is in a molt and hasn't laid in a month. She sure looks raggedy.[​IMG]

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    first off, how old is she? Second, do they free range? At age 2, egg production can taper off, and I have even heard of it stopping all together. This IS the season that egg production slows, and for some, may even stop. I do not know if artificial light will give you any results in only two weeks. If she is moulting, it could be a very long time before you get eggs. If you free range them, it is possible that she has found a hidden spot somewhere, and has been laying eggs all this time.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. cbohn80

May 2, 2011
    nj
    she isnt even a year old yet so she cant be molting, also she does free range a few hours each day but i have a very small yard that i search for eggs everytime i put the ladies away, and if i didnt find them i would catch my dogs finding them. any other ideas? i have no clue whats happening

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Im not sure [​IMG] I found a hidden nest in my back yard almost a year after I lost the hen that was laying them. My last easter egger was not a very good layer, maybe four eggs a week. She didn't really slow in the winter though. It may just be that your hen is mixed with a breed that is not a good winter layer. Maybe she will pick back up in the spring.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine has stopped also. Maybe one egg a week. I'll stay in control till spring and see what they do.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They can go through a minor molt before a year old. I currently have 3 girls under 1 year old going through minor molts. (and not laying)

10. project7030

project7030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    South Central Montana
    Mine stopped too for almost two months, even with artificial light. Then a week ago she started up again. Must be an EE quirk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by