EE not laid at all in 2 months

cbohn80

Songster
8 Years
May 2, 2011
nj
my ee hasnt laid in just over 2 months, prior to this she was my best layer with an egg everyday. i understand that there should be a drop off with less daylight but to stop all together doesnt seem right. my other 7 birds are still giving me an average of 5-6 eggs a day. anyone has any ideas? even my ducks are laying when everyone says they wont start until the spring. thanks for any help

if it helps i do use artificial light for the last 2 weeks and it hasnt helped.

I agree with CelticaOaks. My best layer is in a molt and hasn't laid in a month. She sure looks raggedy.
roll.png

first off, how old is she? Second, do they free range? At age 2, egg production can taper off, and I have even heard of it stopping all together. This IS the season that egg production slows, and for some, may even stop. I do not know if artificial light will give you any results in only two weeks. If she is moulting, it could be a very long time before you get eggs. If you free range them, it is possible that she has found a hidden spot somewhere, and has been laying eggs all this time.

Last edited:
she isnt even a year old yet so she cant be molting, also she does free range a few hours each day but i have a very small yard that i search for eggs everytime i put the ladies away, and if i didnt find them i would catch my dogs finding them. any other ideas? i have no clue whats happening

Im not sure
hmm.png
I found a hidden nest in my back yard almost a year after I lost the hen that was laying them. My last easter egger was not a very good layer, maybe four eggs a week. She didn't really slow in the winter though. It may just be that your hen is mixed with a breed that is not a good winter layer. Maybe she will pick back up in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom