EE not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbana Gardener, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Urbana Gardener

Urbana Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Matilda is 2 years old. She was one of 3 hens we have had for 2 years. In early May Gertrude was taken by a fox and killed. Memorial Day weekend Emily just stopped eating on a Saturday and died Sunday night. She looked totally healthy, was eating and running around the yard with no issues. There had been no eggs but since they had all been out free ranging, we figured they were out on the property somewhere, but her sudden death made us think maybe we missed an egg bound hen.
    We got 3 new chicks in early June and 2 weeks ago, during the middle of the day, we found one with puncture wounds and scratches and very dead. The other 2 chicks were hiding in the corner of the yard. Its a fenced yard with 5 foot fencing on 3 sides and 4 foot fencing on one side. The big hen (Matilda) was out in the yard. We live on 2.5 acres, that has woods on 3 sides.
    Now Matilda isn't laying. She hasn't since Emily was sick. She goes out during the day, by herself and seems fine, although a bit scared, but she was always the scared hen any ways. Could she just be freaked out and stressed from the 2 dead buddies and new chicks and then a dead chick?
    We checked her vent and she was clean. Her tummy is soft and she seems fine in every other way.
    How long do I wait and what should we do? Worried!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Sounds as it is stress related. The deaths of her flock mates is very disturbing to her and you did the right thing by getting new chicks to eventually keep her company. Chickens are very social and need flock mates. Animal attacks will stress a chicken into not laying. For how long???? I can't answer that. At 2-3 years old, chicken decrease egg laying anyway. May be a combo. Good luck and keep them safe!!! It's so tragic to loose our chickens to predators.

3. Urbana Gardener

Urbana Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks. We are so saddened by their passing. Today we found that something had tried to get into the coop. We have plastic sheeting on one side of their coop/run to keep it dry. The plastic is torn and a 6" chunk ripped out. In broad daylight. Our office is 50' from the coop. Not sure what is so bold. When Matilda is kept in she gets so unhappy. It's so frustrating. [​IMG]

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Sorry to hear about your losses. I second the idea that it's stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by