EE not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarahharlin, Feb 18, 2015.

1. tarahharlin

tarahharlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Our EE is 10 months old and stopped laying in late November and started back up mid January, which I understand is because of the lack of daylight. Once she started back up in January, she was laying several a week, but as of last week, she has stopped laying again. These are my first chickens, so I am new to all of this. I have checked her for mites/lice, but I don't see anything. I did switch brands of layer feeds about a month ago. Does this happen sometimes? Is it normal? Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    In the winter my hens will lay on and off so I think they are fine. switching feed may have something to do with it but I'm not sure.

3. tarahharlin

tarahharlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Okay, good to know! I was hoping others had experienced them laying on and off too. This is my first winter with them, so wanted to check with others. Thanks!

4. Chickenanigans

Chickenanigans New Egg

Dec 18, 2014
    I'm new to chickens as well, My EE laid her first green egg on February 6th and hasn't laid another. Is this common to go over a week without laying another egg?

5. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I keep my hens laying all winter by giving them a cup of whole corn every day. NOT cracked corn, but whole corn. People may say "whoa thats really bad for your chickens!" but it's really not a lot of corn.

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by