EE or Ameracauna? I need help - don't know what I have apparently!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by franklinchickens, Aug 24, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    [​IMG]
    This is Mimi
    [​IMG]
    And this is Violet
    We got them at 1 week from a local breeder who told us they were Ameracauna's - from chickens he had shown at fairs and such. We wanted friendly backyard chickens as family pets who happen to lay eggs. They are both 18 weeks old. I've been doing research on Ameracauna's and EE and when I posted pics of them on another thread, someone quickly said they were EE. So I'm confused. Anyone out there an expert who can set me straight? As I said - these are pets and part of our family - it would be nice to know, though, that we were calling them the right thing. And I don't want to get blasted by anyone on BYC for claiming to have one thing when I have another though most people are quite gracious from what I've seen. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are both easter eggers. [​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jean for my education (pardon me OP)can you tell me how you tell that Mimi is an EE instead of an Ameraucana? Thanks!

4. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    pips&peeps :

They are both easter eggers. [​IMG]

Hmm-so if you don't mind me asking - what is the difference - as in - how can you tell? And also, should I contact the breeder and ask him about this?​

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Amerauanas have very specific colors, whereas EEs can be any color under the sun. You can look at www.ameraucana.org for more information. [​IMG]

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Hey we are almost neighbors..ok about 60 miles apart [​IMG] Beautiful EE's..you can send me the top one!! We have lots of those Ameraucana breeders around..one right in your neighborhood but everyone seems to have Ameraucana's in their yards here..when they come here they often ask me "what is that" and they are pointing to an Ameraucana [​IMG]
    EE's are great family birds but if you ever decide to get Ameraucana's there are several of us with them in the area
    Edited to add Pips&Peeps is the best...but check out the site www.ameraucana.org

7. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Thanks - we are close! Who knows if we will add to the flock - we love the ones we have - but I've jotted down your info just in case!
    And no, you can't have Mimi - she's my fave! Sits on my lap and follows me around the yard! [​IMG]

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    So why can't those be splash colored Ameraucanna? Even though they arre not the standard acceptable colors, they fit the breed specific shape and mat be purebreds. What other than the splash color makes you say "EE" so fast?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A splash is a white bird with 'accent' feathers, nothing like the ones above. Ameraucanas come in only 8 accepted colors, have slate legs and lay blue eggs.

This is a splash Ameraucana:

[​IMG]

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Not being argumentative - just a curious newbee. Please pardon any abruptness but since you'r online I'll get right to the question: Only WHITE birds? That doesn't jive with what I've been reading on ABC breeders' pages and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by