EE or Ameraucana? Feather sexing possible?

Mini-Daisy

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2018
South Korea
Hello,
Yesterday these cuties hatched and even though I was told they were Ameraucanas I’m in doubt.
Chick 1
FEFF005D-91C0-46D9-895A-8BA17CF3FB34.jpeg

Chick 2
806114D5-2946-417C-8C8F-065F1C870A6A.jpeg

Chick 3
D870EFCA-2E94-4A0B-9BD3-BB4B403D7708.jpeg

If someone could be so kind and let me know if they are Easter Egger or Ameraucana I would be really great full.

Also was I curious if it’s possible to tell their gender by the feathers ?

Best regards.

Last edited:
The first post in this thread tells you what it takes to feather sex as well as make red a black sex links. Do you know for sure that the father was pure for the recessive fast feathering gene and the mother had the dominant slow feathering gene? That's the only way you can trust feather sexing. Was the father not barred and the mother barred? That's the only way black sex link works. Was the father pure for the gold gene and did the mother have the silver gene? That's what it takes for red sex links. For all these the parents have to be set up correctly genetically. For black and red sex links the down color has to allow you to see the differences in the chicks. That doesn't always happen.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Are those true Ameraucana? That can get a bit complicated to answer. Does South Korea have their own Ameraucana standards, do you recognize the US standards, or are there none in SK so you want to use the US standards. Each country can have their own unique standards for any breed. So which standards are you using?

I only know the US standards so I'll go with those. Did you hatch those eggs? What colors were the shells? If they were not all blue but some were green, brown, or white colors they are not US Ameraucana. Did you see the flock that laid the eggs? Were the breeding chickens segregated by color so the roosters were only breeding hens of the same color/pattern? If different colors/patters were allowed to interbreed they are not US Ameraucana.

Looking at the chick's leg colors I don't think those are Ameraucana. Hopefully you will get some blue or green egg shell colors out of the pullets. Good luck!

The first post in this thread tells you what it takes to feather sex as well as make red a black sex links. Do you know for sure that the father was pure for the recessive fast feathering gene and the mother had the dominant slow feathering gene? That's the only way you can trust feather sexing. Was the father not barred and the mother barred? That's the only way black sex link works. Was the father pure for the gold gene and did the mother have the silver gene? That's what it takes for red sex links. For all these the parents have to be set up correctly genetically. For black and red sex links the down color has to allow you to see the differences in the chicks. That doesn't always happen.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Are those true Ameraucana? That can get a bit complicated to answer. Does South Korea have their own Ameraucana standards, do you recognize the US standards, or are there none in SK so you want to use the US standards. Each country can have their own unique standards for any breed. So which standards are you using?

I only know the US standards so I'll go with those. Did you hatch those eggs? What colors were the shells? If they were not all blue but some were green, brown, or white colors they are not US Ameraucana. Did you see the flock that laid the eggs? Were the breeding chickens segregated by color so the roosters were only breeding hens of the same color/pattern? If different colors/patters were allowed to interbreed they are not US Ameraucana.

Looking at the chick's leg colors I don't think those are Ameraucana. Hopefully you will get some blue or green egg shell colors out of the pullets. Good luck!
Thank you very very much for your fast and very informative answer! I’ve unfortunately never seen the flock myself just on photos and they were not segregated by color or pattern. 2 of the eggs were blue one was slightly greenish. Which makes me believe there might be no real standards for Ameraucana chickens in SK or at least the eggs I purchased were not. Since I don’t know about their genes regarding the feather traits too I will have to wait more until I can be sure about their gender.

Thank you again

안녕하세요! 그리고 환영 합니다!

I agree with what everyone above has stated... but I also don't believe you have all easter eggers also. The black tuxedo, or penguin, colored chick... I believe you may have an austrolorp there.

What color(s) were the eggs they came from?

Last edited:
안녕하세요! 그리고 환영 합니다!

I agree with what everyone above has stated... but I also don't believe you have all easter eggers also. The black tuxedo, or penguin, colored chick... I believe you may have an austrolorp there.

My true Ameraucana eggs from a BBS group that hatched black chicks were colored like these chicks. Only they had gray legs with white only on the bottom.

안녕하세요! 그리고 환영 합니다!

안녕하세요~ Hello, thank for answering my thread.

Out of my two blue eggs the black chicks hatched. The other egg was more on the green side and out of it came the “chipmunk pattern” chick.

Back
Top Bottom