1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE or Ameraucana/ GENDER? PLEASE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 9ByDesign, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    @ 10wks. What breed (I was told Ameraucana) and is this a rooster?

[​IMG]
    Chicken in question is in the forefront to show greens in feathers- rooster?
    [​IMG]

I am comparing to this picture of what I think is the same breed/ but a hen in forefront @10wks:
    [​IMG]

If I have small children and he is a rooster---should I get rid of him? This is my first run with ANY chickens. They are very tame and my children handle them all daily right now, but I read many horror stories concerning roosters on here. We have 4 chickens including this one, total. (Supposed to be all hens, by the way [​IMG] .)
    Thanks MUCHO in advance [​IMG]!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

EE. Male, I'd say, if you're sure about the age.

3. 9ByDesign

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Yes, I'm sure. I got them all 4 at 2 days old and marked it on my calendar. Why do you say, if I am sure about the age?

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    If they are the same age, it's got to be a roo

5. speckledhen

At ten weeks, that's a rooster. I would not allow very small children around any rooster since they are at the right height for him to jump and possibly hit their eyes. Older children just have to be taught what to do if he becomes aggressive later on.

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Definately a roo and an EE I wouldn't rush to get rid of him yet. I have had several EE roos and they were fine with small children. I would not leave them unsupervised with him (not saying that you do/would) If he seems to be the slightest bit aggressive I would get rid of him though. I do not tolerate even the mildest of mean roos, one fluff up and they are gone! I have a 4 year old nephew and a baby on the way so I don't take any chances.

7. 9ByDesign

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    At what age do Roosters generally start acting agressively like that? (LOL- I am trying to think of how long I have to find him a new home! We have almost 5 children under 5 years old.) He is so sweet now...but I am sure...

Thank you!

8. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Honestly it all depends on the bird. I have had some that were several years old before they even tried anything with me. The last roo may he R.I.P. was 4 months old and he chased my wife down the drive way. She called me from the truck screaming that if I didn't "take care of him" before she got home from work that she would. Of course I thought she was nuts, because she never has been a chicken person. So when I left for work he came at me and that was the end for Red. [​IMG] If I had to make a guess I would say around 4-6 months when they start to realize that they are roos and start to take care of the ladies. You should have a pretty good idea if he is easy going or not. Hope this helps.

9. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I know this is a little of course, but I see that you are due in Jan. What part? Do you know what you are having yet? My wife is due Feb 5th with our first child. Doc is 99% sure its a boy [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

The most common time for a rooster to become aggressive is when he starts mating the girls and his hormones kick in, around 16-24 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by