EE or Ameraucana??? Help! *PICS*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 77horses, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    We have a black "Easter Egger" pullet named Raven. Her past owner said she was an Ameraucana and we could show her, but I was told here that she's an EE. Then I read that EEs aren't a true breed to show but Ameraucanas are....so I looked up pics of a black EE pullet and I found some that looked just like her...but then when I looked up black Amer. pullet, some pics looked just like her, too! [​IMG] So which one is she? Easter Egger or Ameraucana?? [​IMG] Thanks!

Here's her description:

*black, large, bright eyes
    *pointy tail(usually somewhat laid down when sitting or standing, but *stands up a lot when outside or active)
    *long, curved neck
    *long, curved beak
    *black beak with a little tan on the end
    *fairly large "earmuffs" that almost block eyes from sight
    *long legs
    *legs are grayish/blueish
    *long body
    *feathers are black with green/blue/purple tint when shone in light
    *mellow/calm
    *can be really clumsy
    *slow, but likes to be active and alert sometimes

She will be a year old in September(about). She hasn't laid any eggs yet.

Here's pictures of her:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14678_picture_050.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14678_picture_055.jpg

Thanks!

edited to add: she will actually be about a year old in September [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What color are her eggs? Have you ever bred her to see if she breeds true?

ETA: oops. Sorry. I just noticed the part where you said that she hasn't laid eggs yet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    hmmm, I would be concerned that she hasn't laid yet.....how long ago did you get her? My ameraucana are late to lay but haven't had one go that long yet.......
    A pic of her standing would be better to see her, can't really see her shape with her sitting like that.....

eta-you won't really know if she is a true ameraucana until you see her egg color, she may look correct otherwise but if she lays green.....

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    If she lays a blue egg, she could very well be shown as a Ameraucana.. Only a judge would be able to say if she is a good specimen or not. I have never shown chickens. She is very pretty..

I am not sure I have ever heard of anyone showing Easter Eggers (EE). They are considered mutts.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It depends on where you want to show her also....did you go to the Cumberland County Fair this past September? ALL of the birds labeled Ameraucana were EE's.....now if you are talking about a APA sanctioned show that's a different story. I have found that a lot of these people(non-APA judges) have never seen a true Ameraucana.....I haven't found anyone in our area yet that knows the difference [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Two things:

Legs and shape... I'd like to see a better pic of her standing and the leg color. OK, I believe you, bluish gray... could very well be Ameraucana.

Egg color: Even though I have an EE that lays an almost blue egg, as the above folks have said, you need to see the eggs, and they need to be blue.

I've got some Dipsy Doodle Doo eggs in the bator (Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucana) that are some of the bluest I've seen up to this point.

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK thanks! I wish I had a better pic of her...but like I said, she's really laid-back and lazy, so she likes to just sit there. [​IMG] Unlike Pumpkin(in the background) who is very alert and adventurous.

I don't know why she's not laying yet. [​IMG] Right now her and Pumpkin share a fairly small plastic tub, with pine shavings, food, water. Yes they are way too old to be living in the house still, but right now they have no where else outside to go because the flock that we are introducing them hasn't fully accepted. There are 2 BO hens in the flock and 1 splash cochin rooster. They get along well with the hens, but the rooster is just too aggressive and he bullies them a lot; especially Raven, because she's not quick to get away from him, and he will peck her back often. Pumpkin, our little bantam/Cochin purebred is quick, but one time we found Foghorn(the rooster) had cornered her. If we hadn't got her away as soon as we did, he could have really hurt her. So ever since then, they have been back in the house. [​IMG]

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I've got some of DDD's eggs in now too-- and they are bluuuueeeee!! I do love them!

Quote:

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK I found some pictures of her standing:

Sorry they are kinda blurry, but you can see the blueish/grayish color of her legs. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's her face:

[​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    later this summer if you want to hatch some true ameraucana eggs let Alex know and we will get you some.....as long as your parents say it's ok [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by