EE or Ameraucana??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SandyNest, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SandyNest

SandyNest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    I purchased 4 chicks from Tractor Supply that were advertised as Ameraucanas. I know their chicks usually come from a local hatchery, so I was pretty confident they were Ameraucanas. They were also supposed to be pullets, but of course, there's always one in the crowd! I would like to re-home this guy and would sell him with one of my pullets so there would be a pair, or give him away as a single bird (to someone who wants to keep a rooster) but I'd like to know for sure if he is Ameraucana or an EE. The bottoms of his feet are a lighter color.

Opinions please:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know if these pics aren't good enough, I can take more later (as I would also like an opinion on my hens as well). For anyone interested in him, we are in southwest Michigan.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    EE

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hatcheries don't sell true amaerucanas they sell ee's he is a ee

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hatchery birds are always easter eggers.

5. SandyNest

SandyNest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Well....disappointing, as one would think a long established hatchery would name breeds correctly. It's no wonder people are confused between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. Luckily all of my girls are laying pretty green eggs, but I don't like it that I paid for something I didn't truly get. Thank you for your help!! To anyone interested in a beautiful EE rooster and a white EE hen, let me know! He needs a new home soon as I am not allowed to keep roosters in my area of western MI. =(

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    A nice looking bird.....I agree that hes an EE

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    EE 1000%

8. sierras mom11

sierras mom11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    missouri
    Easter Eggers ARE Americanas, they have just not been bred for a particular color like Wheaton, Blk Brsted Red, White, Black, Lemon Blue etc. But instead are bred to be a rainbow of feather colors to make the backyard flock more colorful. That is the only difference in most hatchery flocks they are still Purebred in the since they are only bred to each other no other breeds are crossed in them. But yes he looks like a E.E. that has alot of Silver Duckwing genics behind him.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    EE's are not Ameraucana's all the time. in fact an EE is any bird that carries/posses the blue egg gene. even in hatchery stock.

Ameraucana only come in 8 colors (Black, Blue, Blue wheaten, Brown red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White) if the chicken isn't one of these colors then it is considered an EE.

heres the breeds club site http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see folks say this all the time, but truely, what were you paying for? A hatchery bird that lays blue or green eggs, right? Since you didn't even really know what a true ameraucana is, does it really matter that you got an easter egger? You have pretty birds that lay colored eggs, and I'm betting that's just what you were looking for. Sorry if this comes across kinda harsh, but folks go on and on about this all the time and I really don't see the big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by