EE OR Ameraucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dpitts13, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dpitts13

dpitts13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    How do you tell the difference between a easter egger and a ameraucana.
    I just got 6 chicks that is suppose to be ameraucana but after reading about the two breed i dont know which i got
    [​IMG]

2. dpitts13

Jul 22, 2012
    does anyone have a idea

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Did you get them from a hatchery or a feed store (who usually buys from one of the larger hatcheries)? Unless you got them from a breeder, you can be about 99.9% sure they are EEs.

They appear to be EEs--one, especially, as witnessed by the yellow legs. Ameraucanas have slate legs.

Go to this page and you'll find links to every color of Ameraucana in male, female as well as chick pictures.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. ailron

ailron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    East Tennessee
    It is my understanding that it is almost impossible to tell when they are chicks. Once grown, true Ameraucanas are bigger birds. Guess that doesn't help your situation. Best of luck!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's not impossible to tell. There are only 8 accepted colors of Ameraucana and only the Silver Ameraucana has a chick that might resemble, to the untrained eye, an EE type, but if you really look at the details, you will see the differences.

6. dpitts13

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks the tips have been very helpful , i am new to the chicken world, i do have 5 white rocks and i wanted to add to the flock

7. ccstar

ccstar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    Gilroy, CA

Thank you for the link. My girls have grey legs and look identical to the black and white females. Due to moving stress, only the white one is laying but her egg is a gorgeous light aqua color, not a bright blue. I'm wondering what to check next to help me know if they are Ameraucana's or EE's.....

8. acbunker

acbunker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Bristol, FL
    Get them from a breeder, and you'll know if they are EEs or true Ameraucanas.

I'm new to chickens but I did my homework before buying: found out all the differences by looking at the Ameraucana Association. Plus when I purchased my eggs, I saw all the birds the breeder had. Her blue wheaton roo was GORGEOUS!!!!

I can proudly say my Ameraucanas are purebred and not EE. Bought 30 eggs and maybe 4 or 5 were on the green side. The rest of them were all blue!!!

9. ccstar

ccstar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    Gilroy, CA
    Thanks! My 3 girls came from a breeder who kept all organic birds which was my primary goal. I just don't want to look illiterate and step into the EE vs. Ameraucana hot debate when I can finally post a photo!

At least with certainty I got a mottled Anacona female who is stunning.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by