EE or Dark Cornish??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ParrotsNPullets, May 20, 2010.

1. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    After looking at more pictures of the two breeds I'm stumped. [​IMG]

Are we wrong & is the chipmunk-looking one with the pink legs a Dark Cornish and not our 4th Easter Egger?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    For some reason some sites have Dark Cornish chicks looking like my chipmunk, and some have them looking like this guy:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I see Easter Egger chicks with both colors, but the pinkish legs are throwing me off. [​IMG]

Sigh, anyone with some expertise in the matter?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Cornish!

3. ParrotsNPullets

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Quote:[​IMG] Say it isn't so! We've been treating our chipmunk for an eye infection for 2 weeks and were 90% sure he wasn't our meat bird. Ahhhhh! [​IMG] Be a hen, be a hen!

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    The first one is a Cornish and the second is an EE

5. ParrotsNPullets

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I'm glad I asked so I didn't get surprised by it later. You guys are the best, thanks so much!

6. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:That is Not an EE. Since when does an EE have perfect double laced Pattern, no beard, and shaded legs....

7. ParrotsNPullets

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I'm confused now, which did you say was the Cornish Blackbird12?

We know one of the two has to be an EE and one has to be the Dark Cornish- the other 3 EE chicks are unmistakable with muffs and green legs, and we have no other clean-legged bantams besides these two. =/

8. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Both pictured look like cornish...

9. charlieschickens

charlieschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Personally do not think either of them are cornish. Dark Cornish chicks are lighter than those...
    [​IMG]

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Please, let me shed a little light here on the DC question:
    I got 3 DC cockerels this spring, one was dark, dark brown with chipmunk pattern on it. One was a medium brown with chipmunk. The third was almost buff colored with very little other markings on it. They all three are most definitely DC cockerels and are 10-weeks old. So, don't think that they all look the same. They don't, especially if they came from a hatchery.
    All that said, I think the first one quite certainly is a Dark Cornish chick. If it is a male or female, you will have to wait. Look at the big legs that are yellow, the shape of the body and stance says DC as does the color of its beak. If I am wrong, might I eat my words.
    Your other chick is an EE without a beard.

Blackbird12, not to be rude, but do a little more homework, please and I mean in finding out more about chickens. Thanks.

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by