EE or EE/BO Girl or Boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I have 4 that look like this. I'm pretty sure 2 are cockerels due to the sprouting of two longer feathers that sprouted on their tails. They only show when the tail is at a certain level but before that I thought they were all pullets. They're either out of my EE hen and EE roo or my buff Orpington and EE roo. I figured the one's that didn't have muffs were BO/EE but did I read the EE's can come out without muffs? Anyway, what do you think this one is?

[​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    How old?

3. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Oh sorry....they hatched 2/27-3/3, so a little over 3 months.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    S/he looks just like a black australorp!

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Songster

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Can you post pictures of all 4 in question for comparison?

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

S/he looks just like a black australorp!

Well the mom could have been my Buff Orpington...isn't the Australorp just a black version of the BO???? So the genetic people should tell us if the Silver EE could offer a gene, combined with the Buff Orpington, give us a similar genetic makeup to the Australorp?​

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Well the mom could have been my Buff Orpington...isn't the Australorp just a black version of the BO???? So the genetic people should tell us if the Silver EE could offer a gene, combined with the Buff Orpington, give us a similar genetic makeup to the Australorp?

I have no clue! I have two black australorps that are 12 weeks old and they look identical to your chick. [​IMG]

8. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:I'll see if I can keep them straight and get all of them....they move fast! I'll see if my husband will help me. I'll just head for the scratch and they'll come running.[​IMG]

9. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Quote:Well the mom could have been my Buff Orpington...isn't the Australorp just a black version of the BO???? So the genetic people should tell us if the Silver EE could offer a gene, combined with the Buff Orpington, give us a similar genetic makeup to the Australorp?

I have no clue! I have two black australorps that are 12 weeks old and they look identical to your chick. [​IMG]

Are yours all pullets? I have 3 Australorps right now but they're only a week old so they still look like penguins. [​IMG]

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I have no clue! I have two black australorps that are 12 weeks old and they look identical to your chick. [​IMG]

Are yours all pullets? I have 3 Australorps right now but they're only a week old so they still look like penguins. [​IMG]

I grabbed them from the pullet bin at TSC so I am hoping they are all girls. I wont know for sure until they lay eggs but so far no signs of a rooster. Would you like me to post pics?

[​IMG] You are right! They do look like penguins when they are young! Haha! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by