EE or welsummer??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beakz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Beakz

Beakz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]
    everyone tells me the brown one is an easter egger, but it looks JUST LIKE a welsummer, i looked up pictures of them and she looks just like one. shes 22 weeks

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    She is an EE. I can see muffs, no evidence of a single comb, and the leg color screams Easter Eggger.

2 people like this.
  3. Easter Egger

4. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    EE.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 You have an EE...green legs, beard/muff and what looks to be a pea comb....all point to EE.

Plus her coloring is wrong for a Welsummer, as is her tail (I have both EE's and Welsummer).

Here is a photo of my EE simiar to yours in that she has a similar Welsummer coloring....partridge pattern...but also has the distinctive beard/muff, pea comb, and green legs.
    [​IMG]

Now here are some photos of one of my Welsummers (or Welsummer mixes...at about 12 to 13 weeks?).She came in a grab bag of eggs, and my broody hatched her out with the Welsummer chipmunk coloring (making me hopeful) and now she looks just like my other Welsummer from a breeder (her hackle is more gold than it shows in the photos) and is laying nice dark Welsummer eggs.

Welsummer [​IMG][​IMG] 2 bird photo: Welsummer on right (Wyandotte/EE on left? your guess is as good as mine on that one)

I can't find a photo of my Welsummer from a breeder, so I'll link to this website
    And photos of Welsummers from the Feathersite:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//CGP/Wels/BRKWelsummers.html

Enjoy your lovely EE girl...she should lay some lovely blue/green eggs...something a Welsummer will NOT do.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger. As stated, your bird has a pea comb, dark legs and facial feathering. Welsummers don't have any of those things. Plus, color and body shape are different.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    What donrae said--plus, that brown partridge color is extremely common in EEs.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's an Easter Egger.

9. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    EE !00% : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by