EE pecking at one**tried to save her but she died :-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2overeasy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I went to check on my EE and she has 4 chicks yet there was a wet one curled up in front of her bloody and covered with shavings. When I tried to move it she started pecking at it - and not nicely! I know they do that for a reason. Obviously she's taking good care of others. I know its natural selection. So I "put on my big girl panties" took it out and pieces of shell and laid it in a plastic bag. I knew it was still alive b/c it tried to move and weakly peeps. But I figured it would die so while I took pics of new babies and gave everyone some chick feed, I just left it there. Then I went out and ran water for the horses, planning on going back in a few minutes to get ride of bag. I picked it up and carried it to garbage can and just as I was ready to throw it in, it peeped again. My heart broke!
    So I've done what is probably a stupid thing: I brought it in, cleaned VERY gently with a soft warm wet cloth. Then used blow dryer very gently to dry it a bit. Now it's in a box in the bathroom on a soft towel under a brooder lamp. Perhaps it has such a strong will to live that it will rally, or it will go ahead and die. But if it lives, what do I do next? It's scalp is picked raw bloody half off and so is it's belly is picked raw. I don't want to pick at anything on its belly in case its attached to its insides.
    I've made a mistake, haven't I? Please tell me I have and/or share your miracle stories...I need something here! I'm scared I'll save it and it will simply die later of a disease or never being accepted by the flock, picked at til dead, after all

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Here's a pic. It's so pathetic...[​IMG]

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i would put the little guy/gal out of its misery [​IMG]

4. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    That's really sad. I don't blame you for wanting to help. Keep it warm, give it some sugar water or vitamins and it may come around. It is possible if it gets better you could have yourself a sweet little house chick, but it may be the kindest thing to put it down.

5. creekrats

creekrats Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I agree with Saltysteele. Put the poor little thing out of its misery.[​IMG]

6. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    It's sad, but I do agree. What's the best way to put it down?

7. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I am a sucker for less unfortunate soles, and would have also brought it into the house.. Give it a chance, it will either live or die... but at least you said you tried [​IMG] [​IMG] fingers crossed, and some hugs for the little one

8. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:I HATE this part of hatching [​IMG] it does seem tht it will not survive mom does know best in these situations i firmly believe tht. But it truely does not make it easy on us "Moms" How long has it been hanging on? If it were me....wht i would simply do cos i know me i would just make him comfortable till he passes. You do all you can do and then just let nature take its course. Thts just me .....

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is what I would do, but I am a softy and would have to try to save it since it has already gone through so much in such a short time. I would put some Neosporin on the wounds and try, but that is me. My husband gets on me for this but if it's going to die I will let it die but I can't put it down. [​IMG]

10. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I just went in to give some polyvisol - it was dead. :-( A blessing, I'm sure. RIP little baby! And thanks to all of you and your compassion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by