EE pullet 'moaning'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timco, Jul 2, 2008.

1. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    An EE of ours who is 20 weeks and has not laid yet is walking around our backyard moaning, and even kinda honks if she shakes her head. Could she be ready to lay? She seems to moan nearly with every breath, but eats & drinks well.....[​IMG]

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    We are a bit worried. Any advise is appreciated. Golda is a really pretty EE girl. The rest of the flock seems great. It was the first 100* day today, but they have fresh water and lots of shade...

Thanks again, Tim

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Is she breathing OK?
    If she is well but just making a noise she will probably settle down when she starts to lay.
    Have you checked for gapeworm or any other throat problem?

4. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    We have not. May I ask how to check for this? I will do so as soon as I find out how.

Tim

5. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    See if she seems distressed. Is she out of breath?
    Gapeworm are red worms that live in the throat. I have never seen them but apparently they live in pairs permanently attached so that they look like a v shape. You would need to look down her throat to see them if she will let you. If she is sick she may not struggle too much as it will be too much effort. If you cannot catch her it is usually a good sign!
    Try doing a search for gapeworm. There is lots of information on it on this site. If it is gapeworm she will need urgent treatment with the correct worm medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by