EE pullet not walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RTbird, Aug 14, 2013.

1. RTbird

RTbird New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    New member here but have been reading the forums for the last couple of years. Last spring my wife and I started our small backyard flock and currently have 4 hens and 3 pullets (that are now 19 weeks old). Hoping you can help us out with our first major health issue! Our EE pullet Hazel has been having some issues. I'm worried about Marek's but from what I've read about it the symptoms don't completely match up....
    The symptoms:
    10 days ago we noticed her limping when running around with the other birds. She acted like she couldn’t put any weight on her left leg. I checked her foot and then her leg all the way to the hip, comparing it to the normal leg. Couldn't find anything wrong so I suspected she might have a sprain. The next day her limp was worse and she starting sitting more (on her hocks). That's how she's been for the last week, sitting on her hocks all the time unless something really motivates her to move. Then she can get up on her toes and shuffle forward for 6-7 steps before sitting back down. She gets around the run and into a little coop that’s close to the ground every night. She's extremely alert, eats & drinks fine and even still keeps her place in the pecking order. The other 2 pullets she grew up with have learned the hard way not to mess with her, even in her state! Her droppings have stayed normal the entire time. Her legs aren’t paralyzed; when you pick her up she vigorously kicks both legs and moves her toes. Twice a day we give her a wet mash of layer feed with half a scrambled egg mixed in. The water that’s used to make the mash is supplemented with Duravet Vitamin & Electrolytes (3/4 tsp per gallon). We also have that in the waterers in the run.
    Hazel surprised us with her first egg at 16 weeks old and has actually been laying almost everyday since then even in her current condition. She’s still in a run with the other pullets that aren’t laying so until last week we were feeding them all chick starter with crushed oyster shells on the side for her. Maybe her condition was caused by a calcium or vit. D deficiency? Has anyone seen this happen before?

Also, all our birds were vaccinated for Marek’s at the hatchery but I know that doesn’t completely protect them. It that’s what it is maybe it’s just progressing slowly…

I’ll try to get some pics tonight and maybe a video too. Thanks for reading and all the help you’ve already given us over the past 2 years!

2. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    So sorry for your EE -

Have you checked her for bumblefoot? it can be very painful - my rooster was limping a lot when he had it. check these pics

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

if she has a small black dot on the bottom of her foot, it could be bumblefoot. I did not remove it with surgery - instead, I used Veterycin twice daily and wrapped it with Vetrap.

3. chick chicks

chick chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    One of my hens has just started doing this too, its very sad to watch her struggle, I have checked for bumblefoot and have not seen anything. I'm going to keep watching this thread for suggestions. [​IMG]

4. RTbird

RTbird New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    GoChick,

Thanks for the link. How did your rooster make out with the Veterycin treatment?

I did check her out pretty thoroughly for bumblefoot but didn't find anything there. Neither foot is swollen or has a black dot. She's just sitting on her hocks with her feet under her.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

And a close-up of her feet:
    [​IMG]

Video of her eating and then trying to move (at 23 sec mark). Sorry It's a little out of focus...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. RTbird

RTbird New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Here's another video of her trying to walk:

6. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    I'm sorry I can't help - she looks so healthy otherwise. I hope someone jumps in with some ideas.

Can you take her to a vet? Maybe a State vet school?

If there are no avian vets in your area, you may want to try www.justanswer.com you can post your question to bird vets and pay I think something like $35.00 and they will reply and follow up. I used them once and actually liked it. When my rooster got bumblefoot, I did not want what protocol to follow - so many different suggestions on this site. So I posted a question there, paid $35.00 and the vet suggested the Veterycin, no surgery and no antibiotics. it worked! It took close to two weeks but I got rid of the bumblefoot!!

Good luck - she's beautiful!

7. RTbird

RTbird New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks GoChick. We're looking for a local vet that treats chickens and I'll check out that website today too. She's one of our favorite birds and we're really hoping it's not Marek's....

Glad to hear your rooster's foot has healed!

8. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Good luck to you and the pullet - please post what the vet says - it's always good to learn something new in case it happens to one of mine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by