EE Pullet or Cockerel?

BirdBrain22

Chirping
May 30, 2022
Michigan
Curious your thoughts on my 10 week old black EE. Pullet or Cockerel? I posted a pick of my 10 week old white EE for comparison.
CD93895E-83D0-4854-B4CA-E5D486A83F27.jpeg
93DEEC00-D7D5-40E2-B793-773F5C116FAC.jpeg
FB3FAE3A-8B91-42CF-B2EF-1F404394B7F1.jpeg
B363BB1D-14EE-45ED-B372-46A863609567.jpeg
93C09D1A-6E85-4654-971F-E8726C638690.jpeg

Your "black" Easter Egger is actually blue and is a cockerel!
What do you mean by blue? Also do you know if it is okay to keep a EE Roo with 3 hens? Do you know if it’s safe to eat fertilized eggs? We were hoping for all hens but I can’t rehome him. I want to make sure he has a long happy life. I appreciate all your insight this is my first time raising chickens. Thanks!

What do you mean by blue? Also do you know if it is okay to keep a EE Roo with 3 hens? Do you know if it’s safe to eat fertilized eggs? We were hoping for all hens but I can’t rehome him. I want to make sure he has a long happy life. I appreciate all your insight this is my first time raising chickens. Thanks!
Blue is the term for that gray color.
The general recommendation is to have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster. However, this really depends on the individual rooster and his temperament. I have a bantam rooster with only 3 girls and it works fine. My other rooster, an EE, has 5 girls right now, and it's not quite enough for him. I have two more girls that will be ready to integrate into his flock soon, so that should make it better.
Fertilized eggs are perfectly fine to eat. You won't notice any difference.

Blue is the term for that gray color.
The general recommendation is to have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster. However, this really depends on the individual rooster and his temperament. I have a bantam rooster with only 3 girls and it works fine. My other rooster, an EE, has 5 girls right now, and it's not quite enough for him. I have two more girls that will be ready to integrate into his flock soon, so that should make it better.
Fertilized eggs are perfectly fine to eat. You won't notice any difference.
Thank you for all your help. I will look into getting some more hens. I think I’ll focus on sexed linked breeds this time around.

Back
Top Bottom