EE Pullets or Roos? Last one EE or Ameracauna? Pics are thumbnails

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bmerb, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bmerb

bmerb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Fall Creek
    Okay, it seems like a lot of folks play this game, but... None of ours have started clucking, let alone crowing yet. They were supposed to be sexed, but it looks like we might have several roos out of 7 EEs... Thanks!

[​IMG]
    This is Laverne, 7wks, pullet I think...

[​IMG]
    Louise at 8wks, or is it Louis? Sorry for the blurry pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Minnie, 7wks, pullet I think...

[​IMG]
    Pearl @ 7wks, another pullet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sandra Dee @ 7wks, what do you all think? Pullet PLEASE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shirley 7wks, I have my suspicions! MUCH taller than most of the others...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thelma @ 8wks, please please say she is a she! Also, could she be the genuine article, a real Ameracauna, not an EE? The legs are slate, not willow green, and SHE's perfectly blue all over. Anyone?[​IMG]

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Shirley looks a bit iffy to me, as well but the others all look like pullets. Give Shirley a week. I don't know if Thelma meets the Amer. reqs, but she is GORGEOUS!!!!

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They all look like pullets to me at this point. If Thelma came with the rest of the birds, she is an easter egger.

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    all look like girls to me

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Laverne-pullet
    Louise-cockeral, comb and tail feathers
    Minnie-pullet
    Pearl-pullet
    Sandra Dee-cockeral, comb, can't see tail
    Shirley-cockeral, comb and tail feathers
    Thelma-pullet

please post more pics in a few weeks, would like to see how they develop

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    As of right now, it still looks like you have a chance of having 7 pullets. The only ones I might question are Sandra Dee & Shirley. Sandra Dee's comb is pretty pink for a pullet - is her comb color in the picture accurate? From what I can see, her coloring seems like a pullet's to me, but since I can't see her from the side, I'm not sure. The only reason I see to keep an eye on Shirley is that her wattles seem like they're developing a little early for an ee pullet, but everything else about her seems female to me. Her size alone shouldn't be a concern. I had one pullet that was always obviously bigger and heavier than the other two (and still is).

I happen to have pictures of my 3 easter egger pullets at the same age as yours for reference - they're about 7 weeks old in these photos. All three are laying now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one here was a lot bigger than the other two and her tail stuck straight back instead of up. Her tail still looks like that today, whereas all my other hens' tails stand upright. She also had the wider pea comb, like some of yours have - as she grew, it was obviously a 3 row pea comb. The other two EEs had single pea combs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Louise looks a lot like our "Sparrow" did. I have pictures of her all grown up on my BYC page in case you're curious as to what she might look like.

7. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    beautiful girls ya got there!

8. bmerb

bmerb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Fall Creek
    Thanks folks, I appreciate the reassurance. These chicks came from several different sources, all (of course) labeled Aracauna or Ameracauna, none EE. All the 7 wks olds are EEs I know, as they came from one source, but Thelma and Louise came from another place, and they were getting their chicks from a couple different sources... Hence my questioning whether Thelma could be a true Ameracauna. How would I know if she is? I guess even if she matches the breed description and ends up laying blue eggs, she still could probably be just a nice EE, right? Any thoughts anyone?

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the only way that I know of is that if she lays a blue egg AND if you cross her to a blue,black or splash ameraucana roo and the offspring are all blue/black/splash, no off colors, then she could be true

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by