EE Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychix, Dec 28, 2008.

1. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    I bought (well, i traded 12 quail for them) these last week as EE's.... I only have a Black Australorp rooster, so, my question is, if i breed them to my BA roo, will the off spring still be EE's or something else? from what i have read EE's ARE mixed breeds, so what will the off spring be? thanks!

also could anyone tell me what the colors would be called on these hens?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    We had EE's that bred with our BR Roo and our SPW roo, and have some offspring that lay green eggs, and some that don't. Most of them have some barring, but also have the tufts of feathers on the sides of the face. The greens we do get range from light to olive. My guess - you would get at least a few offspring that would lay green/blue eggs.

3. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    What a nice looking group [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you breed them with another breed they would be mutts, but like you said an EE is a mutt so I guess its up to you.

You should get 50% colored eggs and 50% brown.

I want to try this with my BR and EE's also.

5. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I was contemplating this myself. I have two EE's that are bearded and lay beautiful green eggs. I have a RIR roo. I had heard someone once say pink eggs can come from some EE's (I now figure these to be real mutts, lost their green gene). But I was thinking maybe I can work on a rainbow of pastel-ish colored eggs over time.
    As for the coloring of your girls, I am unsure. Some of them look like they have some Silver Ameraucana in them. Go check out http://www.ameraucana.org/
    there is a picture section that has all the colors laid out. You won't have any perfect matches because of the "mutt" factor, but you might be able to find a general idea.

6. luvmychix

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:Thanks!

7. luvmychix

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:I guess i have to look at it like i already have mutts so whats more mutts going to hurt...right? lol... i have an EE roo but he is only 6 weeks old........... [​IMG]

8. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Suess hens wrote: Some of them look like they have some Silver Ameraucana in them.

I am most assured that these young pullets do not have any Ameraucana stock mixture. They are typical in every aspect to regular Easter Eggers. Their color patterns do not follow with any of the recognised color varieties in the Ameraucana breed. They represent the typical "any color variations" that is so common with the Easter Eggers. With that said, they are beautiful Easter Egger pullets! [​IMG]

If you cross them with you BA rooster some of your offspring hens will probably lay green eggs and some brown eggs. It is quite common for EE hens to lay brown eggs. My EE hen lays a brown egg.​

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    WOW! Pretty hens AND a spotlessly clean coop with a tile floor! [​IMG]

10. luvmychix

Sep 8, 2008
    Quote:when we got them, by the time we got them home it was realy cold and way after dark and i was not so sure about putting them out with the rest due to i thought they may fight or something and we would not be out there with them... so... i took them and let them spend the night in my laundry room and took that old white stand table and turned it on it's side so they would have a place to roost for the night. I took them out the next morning...... i know i am strange huh? lol... o well, the seemed to like it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by