EE question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by operator16, Aug 19, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Songster

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 10 EEs. I think all but one are pullets.

I'm wondering if there are EE hens that have iridescent feathers on their body and tail... or is it just the roos that get those pretty ones?

Thanks!!!

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I can't speak for all, but my roos are the only ones with the iridescent (shiny) feathers on the tails and bodies with my EEs and most other breeds I have. The females are still pretty, but not as far out there. They use their feathering more for camouflage to blend in when sitting so they are harder to see by predators.
    I hope I understood your question right. Here are a few pics of my EEs for comparison. They are about 7 months old.
    First pics of pullets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] The one in the middle is a EE pullet.

Now some roosters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do have some white ones but they are just that white, no shiny feathers.

3. operator16

operator16 Songster

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    That's good information and nice pictures! Your birds are beautiful. I think I'll try to get some pics. of the feathers I'm talking about to see what the consensus is.

Thank you!

Quote:

4. HappyTalons

HappyTalons In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    My EEs aren't colored in such a way that they would have iridescence, but my black sex links and australorp hens/pullets definitely have iridescence on their black feathers.

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    EE pullets can have iridescent feathers. My BA X Ameraucana girls`s have very pretty green/blue/purpley black ones although not with the shine (looking like they have been dipped in oil) that my boys have. My knowledge of other breeds is limited so not sure what other crosses you would see it with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by