1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE returns unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liljunie, Aug 27, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Yesterday afternoon one of my (2 month old) 3 EE mixes went missing. They fly over the fence and free range then fly back in at night and are secured in a coop. About 3 hours later the missing EE was lying by the fence unable to stand or walk, but some how crawled home. She has blood on her back (I suspect a hawk picked her up). I put her in a crate with her two friends. She is ravenously eating land is alert and bright eyed. When she tries to stand she sort of rolls on her side. If I support her she can put weight on one leg, but not the other. It seems to collapse at the feathered part, not the scaly part of the leg.

What do I do? I don't see how I can splint it so close to the body??

This trio are very attached so I brought the two in from the coop to sleep with her. I was thinking of putting them out during the day and inside with her at night.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds like an attack or maybe a broken leg. 2 months is way way too young to be venturing out like that. They need to be in a covered pen.

3. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I know...my setup is for silkies. Not used to flyers! She is doing better today, able to balance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by