EE Roo and 2 EE Hens, what hen(s) can I add to avoid diluted genes/egg

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chirpingcricket, Aug 17, 2011.

1. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    I would like some suggestions as to what hens to add, EE? etc. to enhance the blue/green egg color and potential egg hatching later down the road. Would love to stay in the EE breeds as much as possible. I have a hen sold to me as an Ameracauna, but she's an EE with yellow leggs and lays a brown egg (about 1 year old), that often has a ring of purple/lilac dots around the pointed end.
    Finding a true Ameracauna around here is unlikely.

The EE's we have now are around 4 months old. I'll post pictures below. Any ideas of what egg colors or chick colors would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rocky
    [​IMG]

Blondie
    [​IMG]

I don't have a picture of the pheasant EE or the 1 year old EE/Ameracauna. Will provide soon.
    Thanks!

2. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    you have some pretty chickens

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As long as you've got pea combs on the birds, your chances for blue or green eggs are good. [​IMG] Try and go for the bluest laying girl, breed her to another EE, and go from there for the bluest.

btw Rocky is a boy. [​IMG] In case you didn't know, but I figure you might, seeing the name

4. Mystic Farms

Mystic Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    remember that color follows the comb = anything single comb will ALWAYS give you brown or white eggs. hope that helps!

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Is it only the egg color you want to keep? If so the only chickens I'm aware of that lay the blue / green eggs are EE, amerucana, and arucana. The arucana will have a totally different look to your EE. Amerucana's lay blue eggs and will have the slate legs, pea comb and specific color combo's, but will have a similar look to your EE in that they will have the beards / muffs. (before any breeders have a cow that was not meant to be a comprehensive description of the differences just a beginners down and dirty).

I ordered my EE from Myers (listed as amerucana's) and they all lay the colored eggs some more blue others more green.

6. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    does the single comb also goes with EE's on what color egg they lay. You can see my pic's under americana roo, because I have 1 EE hen, 1 RIR hen and 1 black sex link hen

7. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Wow, so much thanks for a quick reply.
    Yes on Rocky, he used to be named Julie, haha. Blondie's name changed from Goldie. Have since added the new EE, named Adrian!! Hubby is a Rocky fan, can you tell?

We lost a great laying hen this week. [​IMG] She was all white, had a pea comb, with a little bit of black feathers across her nape and tail feathers. We think that Curly, the BIG Roo, was chasing her, as he had been doing alot lately and she ran into a pole in the "play pen" run. Broke her neck? No visible signs of anything else. The Roo is very gentle until he has to chase them around, and then he stays on target until he takes care of business. She laid green/light blue eggs.
    I'm not sure about their breed, was told part barred rock and golden sex link??

Her sister, Philly, is the same breed, ????? and lays a light green egg. So now we are down to 1 green egg layer and 3 brown egg layer, counting the EE/that was sold as an Ameracauna.

I'm going to purchase another full grown hen or 2 today to put into Curly's pen.

Just trying to keep an eye out for what additional EE's I can find to put into Rocky's pen.

All the information provided has helped me make a cheat sheet so I'll have some insight of my available choices. Thanks again and best to all!!!

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Not always, I have a single combed chicken that lays green eggs. I will say though the peacomb does give you a better chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by