EE roo + BR, BO, RSex, Delaware, RI...what to expect?

HenSpa

Songster
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Roosts down South somewhere
Hey, guys! I've got 15 eggs under a Buff from my various girls and am trying to figure out what will result in way of mix & color on eggs. Do I have any chance of colored eggs since the roo is EE? (I acquired 4 EEs summer before last, wanting colored eggs, and they all four were roos!)

Since all your girls are brown egg layers, you should get some green egg layers depending on whether your roo carries 0, 1 or 2 blue egg shell genes (blue egg shell + brown coating = green eggs, the darker the brown the darker the green), the blue egg shell gene is dominant so if he carries one gene for it half the pullets will lay green and if he has two genes than all of them will, if you are unlucky and he is one of those EEs who missed the blue egg shell gene, all his pullets from brown egg layers will lay brown....

I've had good luck combining brown and green genes and getting green, although sometimes it's a muddy, not very attractive color
roll.png
. I do have a hen that lays green eggs with brown speckles--very cool--and a hen that lays a green egg with a brown coating that washes right off. If you didn't hatch the rooster yourself, it's kind of a genetic crapshoot, though. Pullets with pea or funky pea/straight combs will be your likely green layers. Here's an example of a mixed comb from a green egg layer..
Ignore the scraggly molting condition!

I can tell you your barred hen and I think the Delaware will make sex links. You may have a hard time telling their females from the other hen's chicks, but if you get a chick that's black with a solid black head, it's likely a sex link female. And any chicks with white spots on their heads will me males.

Thanks so much for the info, guys. Appreciate it much. Here is a photo of my roo. I don't know if his coloring can give any insight into the color gene he has or doesn't has? His coloring was different than his other three brothers (whom we found a home for...they were super aggressive, too aggressive), as was his disposition. He is a sweetheart.

Coloring doesn't indicate egg color genes--wouldn't that be cool if it did, though? Anyway, his pea comb, dark legs and beard all bode well for colored eggs in his female offspring.

Back
Top Bottom