EE roo -coloring ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by busybeelee, Nov 25, 2010.

1. busybeelee

busybeelee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Several posts have said light EE chickens with dark tails can't be hens due to coloring? Is it not possible to have this coloring at all on a hen or just not likely and why?

2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    It is certainly possible to have a dark colored tail on a lighter colored body of a hen. The coloration has nothing to do with sex.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most white/black EE's are male. Males have more "flashy" coloring.

Plenty of hens have darker tails than their body coloring though.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ya i have a very light brown EE hen with a black tail and another who is dark brown with black tail feathers. You can get light/white hens but they are very rare. Usually in EE's white or black is a roo. Like in the red sex links the roos are always have white down feathers and hens have brown down feathers.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The thing about the coloring issues and rules are; If it is brown with a black tail, it is fine as long as there's black smudging or pencilling on its body. If it is light or white with a black tail, it is fine as long as there is NO color on its shoulders or neck. You can very well get a black and white Easter Egger pullet, just not one that starts out to show gold on the neck/back or gold/red on the shoulders. Coloring on the chest is a sign of a female though - It's showing the duckwing colors/patterning of a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by