EE Roo (Maybe) UPDATE- PICS AND VIDEO ADDED

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have a pullet named "Turkey". I have 4 other EE pullets as well. I think Turkey may be a roo. She'll be 9 weeks old on Monday. She's had slow feather growth, she has thick legs, and shorter tail feathers than the other girls and she has a comb that I can only describe as being a "cluster" but it's not red. The other girls have a small "cluster" but Turkey's is bigger. I know that EE's are probably harder to sex then other breeds and she has me stumped!

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't have EEs, but these are close enough. With my Ameraucanas, I could not tell by the tails or the legs. You're right, these can be a little tougher to sex. For comparison, here are two of my Blue Ameraucanas, the pullet, Charlotte, and one of the cockerels, who happened to find a new home today. Hope you can see Charlotte's comb here-she does NOT like to pose. The roos have the three rows of "peas" raised up and the girls have just the middle ridge for a long time. My pullets' combs are just now at over 10 weeks beginning to pinken a little.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    speckledhen,
    When did the cockerel's comb start to turn pink/red? Turkey has a cluster as a comb and the others don't seem to have as much as a cluster as Turkey. I would go look at it now to take a picture or explain better what it looks like but the babies are sleeping.

Edited to add:
    Turkey just started growing her "beard" this week, I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

4. speckledhen

It was quite early on that particular cockerel, but on the black one I kept for breeding, it was thick, but did not turn pink for a couple of weeks after the blue boy's did. Here are both boys at the same age, I think maybe four or five weeks old, not sure, and last, the the pullet, same age:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The beard doesn't really mean much-the black one just now is getting one, but the blue boy has had a nice thick one from very early.

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Thanks, That helps. I'll try to post a picture of her/him tomorrow.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    southern im sure this is an obvious answer that is just evading me but ill ask anyway...how does a chicken end up being called turkey?[​IMG]

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Aran,
    The main reason I named her Turkey was because he/she would come up to me and peck at my wedding ring, toes, face...well she'd peck at anything on my body if I let her/him. I would say "you turkey, stop pecking me!" My momma calls everything that's annoying a turkey so turkey just seemed like a good name since I was calling her a turkey all the time anyway. It is wierd how some animals are named.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Ok from the pictures that speckledhen posted of her EE's comb I'm really thinking Turkey is a boy. He/she acts like a pullet though. When my adult roo finds a bug and calls the girls over, Turkey usually tries to get the bug just like the other girls. Maybe it's just because he/she is young.

Here's a picture of a pullet named Hottie:
    Before anyone asks, her name is Hottie because she is always panting. It must be that huge beard she's rockin.
    [​IMG]

Here's Turkey:
    Picture is kinda blurry because no matter what I do this chick will not hold still.
    [​IMG]

I'll add videos when they finish uploading.

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
  10. speckledhen

Gee, it's still hard to say definitely. It does have a slightly boyish look to the comb, but still...I wouldn't call Turkey a rooster just yet. I've looked at your video and picture till I was crosseyed and I still am not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by