EE roo or hen? UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaGAWK!!, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    This chick is almost 4 wks old. I just noticed today that there seem to be some dark red feathers coming in over the shoulders and wings. It seems really early for those to be coming in compared to other EE roos I"ve raised. What do you think? Is it too early to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I would have said give it a chance to be a hen, but then I saw the comb. Boy, sorry.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    my neighbor has a white ee that started getting the red (boy) shoulders, I told him it looked like a boy. Well she lays green eggs for him, so not a stew pot bird. looks like it'll be very pretty no matter what sex it is

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Oh I sure hope so! Nothing about him seems like a roo, doesn't stand like one, the comb is not as red in real life as the pics are, legs arent thick. But his splotchy color and dark red that's coming in on the wings are the only things that make me think that. Hmm

5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    You can tell sex with EE's by their comb. If there are 3 distinct rows on the comb then it's a boy. It looks like boy to me. They are one of the earliest breeds you can sex.

6. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Here is a pic of his back. See the red feathers over his wings? THat's what I"m talking about. Is it dark enough to be Roo Red?

Can EE roos have the barred pattern on them? I've never seen any with that before. He does not have 3 rows in his pea comb.

[​IMG]

7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Id say hen. Either way Id keep him/.her she or he is going to be gorgeous!

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    to early to tell for sure

9. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    ok, same chick, now 5 wks old. What do you think? Sorry some are blurry, the thing wouldn't sit still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    I think it's a roo based on the comb development and color. My EE pullets had pale, flat combs for a very long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by