EE: Roo or pullet? How old can you tell? (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urban dreamer, Nov 12, 2009.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I got a couple of new chickens last Sunday. I am 100% sure the one year old is a hen (lays blue eggs), but the other is questionable. The other one is suppost to be a two month old EE pullet. However apon closer examination, its tail feathers are well, long and pointed. The lady that sold it to me has a great reputation for birds and I don't want to sound like a jerk by asking her if she is sure she sold me a pullet. Is it too soon to tell? Now that I think about it, when I first talked to her about the EE she said it was four months, then in another post it was three. When she sold it to me I asked how old it was and she said two. Is there any way to tell for sure how old it is? I can't have any roosters so that is why Im asking. Here are some pics of the questionalble baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    If the lady is reputable, trust her, but know she still may make a mistake. You need to get a close up side pic of her. Looks like a girl from what I can tell , but Im no expert. Oh and a lot of chickens you can pretty much tell at 2 months, even earlier.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Easter eggers are hard for me. The rooster are slower and the hens look like they have pointy feathers. Need better pic of tail and hackles.

4. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Its butt wouldn't sit still for a good pic. This was the best I could get tonight. I'll see what I can get tomarrow. Thanks you guys!!!

[​IMG]

5. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I think the combs are the best indicators on an EE. The close up of her face shows very little comb, so it's probably a pullet. By 2 or 3 months, you can usually see more comb on a male, and it might even be turning a little red.

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    pullet

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It looks like a pullet to me, too. Like Jen said, the Easter Eggers can fool you because the hen's hackle feathers sometimes look pointed. By size, I'd guess her to be around 3 months old.

8. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    So so far It looks like Ginger isn't George? Becuase if Ginger is George we have a problem and will either be free to a good home or skillet-bound. So pretty though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by