EE roo??*pic update post #10*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bloom_ss, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I know I just posted pictures of my chicks a few days ago, but I am really leaning towards roo for this little guy and I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Does three rows of bumps on the comb ALWAYS mean it is a boy?? He is about 5 weeks old right now. I couldn't get a good picture of the comb because he wouldn't hold still for me so I drew this picture (don't laugh [​IMG] ) in paint so you could get a bit of an idea what the comb looks like up close:

[​IMG]

Here is the picture I posted before of "him" in my previous thread:
    [​IMG]

Here are some other pictures of "him" that I took today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My six chicks were sold as sexed Ameraucana pullets at the local feed store, but they did tell me that they are only 95% accurate in guessing the sex. I am kinda hoping I am wrong about him being a boy, but I won't be too upset if he is. I'll just have to find him a new home because we can't have roosters here inside the city limits. Should I just sit tight and keep hoping he is a she or should I start looking for someone to take him? Thanks for any help you can give me! [​IMG]

~Stephanie

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE roo had the 3 rows, but not sure if that's a hard, fast rule, EE's are mixes. [​IMG] I got mine a nice home!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    yours looks girly to me at this stage but EEs can be very tricky. A predominant three rowed comb is a rule of thumb that it will be a roo. Nature does not go by human rules. If you are looking to hard you might see three rows. [​IMG]. Anyways, it might be a roo but I would wait because EEs can be really gender deceivers.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

Great drawing! (Really!) At this stage, I do not see anything that indicates roo 100%. Sit tight for a few weeks and then post pictures. [​IMG]

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    So far your EE looks like a girl. [​IMG] I bet that's a she.

6. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    My EE roo started getting a red comb at two weeks old. It is really big now but EEs can decieve you. It does look like a girl though.

Heres mine at two weeks, his comb isn't as red as usual in pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 months
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4 months
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is 5 months old now. I hope these pics help for comparison.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    hmmm, yours looks just like my 2 pullets, they are 5 weeks now, their litter mate, has a developing comb and behavior is rooish, so "he" I am watching...

hard to tell, I have 3 other EE's...2 I knew really quick were, but they are crossed with a Polish or something, so one comb is single, the other is a V...the last one, has now finally at 15 weeks, a large "EE" 3 row comb...

Watch and wait...post more pics as they get older...

8. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Thanks everyone...guess I'll just keep waiting (though I'm not very patient...LOL) and hoping he is a she! All five of my other chicks only have a single row of bumps and none of their combs are as pinkish as this one's is getting. I know I'm probably going to have tons more questions for you all as we go along since this is my first experience with chickens. [​IMG] Thanks again for your help!!

~Stephanie

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm sorry I don't know about the sex of the chick but I really like the pic. It's very interesting.

[​IMG]

10. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Here are some new pictures of the one I think might be a roo. Six weeks old now....

[​IMG]

The one closest to the camera in this pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what do you think??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by