EE roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buckabucka, Jun 24, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    This Easter Egger is 9 weeks old. I bought sexed pullets, but I'm pretty sure this is a roo. Not only from his behavior, but I think I read somewhere on the forum that EE's with brown growing out of the shoulders are always male. I'm hoping someone can confirm this. I actually want it to be a rooster, since I already have a cross-beak pullet that struggles to eat. The roosters will be headed for freezer camp.

[​IMG]

comb shot:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Wow! I have one exactly like this and he is three months old and crowing. I've never heard the theory of the brown shoulders but it must be true. I identify him by saying "the gray one with the brown saddle". lol

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I think it's a pullet. I'm coming to Maine this week! I'll take her! Not sure on the brown from the sholder thing but loke the blue color!

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Sorry, but that looks like a boy. Check out the pointed hackle feathers...

5. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Really? I feel like they are not super pointy. More rounded at the ends. No?

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Definitely roo. You remember correctly about the red. Red leakage onto the wing bow that doesn't match the main body coloring is roo. He's going to be gorgeous when he's fully grown.

You will want to be careful about that crossbeak, he should not be bred as crossbeak is a genetic deformity. It will worsen with each generation and is usually lethal within 3.
    I wouldn't get rid of all of your roos if you still want chicks out of one of them.

7. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    aww what a cutie [​IMG]

8. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I do think it is a roo, but if you are coming to Maine and want to take your chances, you can have him! [​IMG]

9. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    I would but I cant have a roo in my town. Something about him is really cute!. What a bummer! Thanks though [​IMG]

10. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:I definitely won't be breeding any cross-beaks, but I agree that his coloring is pretty. I already have an adult EE roo, but he appears to be shooting blanks (2 of 30 eggs I tried were fertile). I have quite a few olive-egger chicks that are roos, too, so I might keep one of them.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by