EE roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JodiLynn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is our roo? Ronan. He has some dark red coming through on his wings does this signify a rooster in the EE breed? I also have anouther one with no red but a very pronounced pea comb (I think that is the type of comb)

So is our Ronan a rooster?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's difficult to tell, but that one looks more like a pullet to me at this stage. EE's can be tough though. That coloring and the size of the comb looks very much pullet-like.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    how old, but i think pullet as well

4. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    I say pullet as well. Keep an eye on the red, some hens do have red on the wings. If there was more red on the breast, I would be more convinced it is a pullet.
    From this angle it's difficult to tell if there are saddle feathers coming in.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have one that started out similar to that and mentally classified it as a roo, for that very reason of the red coming in. A month later, I realized the red was evenly distributed and I have a very pretty, striking pullet.

Everything else says pullet, post a pic of your other bird and we'll take a look. Maybe post this bird in 3-4 weeks again and let us see how it's turned out.

6. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    She would be around 6 weeks old by now. I ordered 4 EE hens and 1 roo and I always thought since Ronan was always bigger he was the boy but then I thought maybe I had 2 roos because as you can see in the pic below this little EE has a very pronounced comb, roo on him? I am so excited that I might get to keep them both now! Just didnt want 2 roos! Thanks Everyone!

[​IMG]
    Roo for this EE (doesnt have a name yet)

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Rooster red is the color of dried blood. I don't think that's what we're seeing here. To me, it looks splashes of brown-red scattered around on the wing (and I'd suspect on the body as well).

So you can see what I mean, this little guy has rooster red splotches:
    [​IMG]

Now, the other one... that's a very red comb for 6 weeks of age. If you have a side photo, I'd guess that he has a patch of white on the wing.

8. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Yes he has lots of white on his wings! And yes Ronan (now maybe rita..lol) has red-brown and it does seem to be coming in on her chest as well! Yayyy !

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2 i don't see the cockerel red that one looks for on an ee cockerel but more of a "messy" red tone of a pullet that should even out with age

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yep, that's your boy --->

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by