EE roos off to freezer camp

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jay1105, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have a question, probably a stupid one but here it goes. I have three EE roo's that need to go to freezer camp. I know they are not what would be considered to be a large bird at maturity. I want to know at what age I should slaughter? I know they need to be of eating size but at what age does that happen and what kind of size might I expect? They are about two months and they have access to as much food as they want.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I like to butcher my EE around 20 to 24 weeks of age (5 to 6 months). This tends to give me a carcass that is between 4 to 6 pounds, and the birds are still grill-able on the BBQ.

I have and do at times do them younger - 16 to 20 weeks - wonderful for fried chicken [​IMG] but of course a much smaller carcass (3 pounds).

With EE and most birds that are not the cornish crosses - they need time to build their frame (bone structure) before they start putting muscle mass on top of it. The frame growth generally consumes about the first 4 months of their life. From 4 months to a year - the frame is still growing, but much slower and the protein is also going to build muscle.

this article is fantastic for any bird who is not a cornish x type bird - talks about age of the bird and the best type of cooking for that age: www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by