EE rooster breeding

Toddziegler

Chirping
May 18, 2022
Tipton IN
I have an EE rooster from Meyer hatchery and it's supposed to breed true when bred with one of their EE hens.

I also have some Ameraucana hens and I want to know what the chances are that the resulting hens from the "Ameraucana X EE" cross will lay eggs that are not brown or white.

I recognize that this all depends on the truth of Meyer's claim that their EE's breed true. So I'm asking as if it's already true.

EE are a mixed breed, so I’m not sure how they can breed true.

As I understand it: Egg color comes from the dad (like a blue shell or a white shell). Brown eggs are white eggs “painted” by the female system with a coating of brown. An olive egg is a blue egg “painted with an overlay of brown (from mom).

Since a hatchery has the goal of pleasing its customers, and the customers want blue or green eggs from their EE, it is likely all their breeding males carry the blue egg gene-at least that’s my guess.

Ameraucana (breed) was created from Araucana breed-which always lay blue. Unfortunately, the Araucana breed has some genetic issues, low hatch rates, therefore sometime in the 70’s or so, the Ameraucana was created to bypass these genetic limitations. They should lay blue eggs. However, if you go to the Ameraucana breeders website, I’m pretty sure their egg color cards include green to blue shades.

Overall, your EE male isn’t pure, but likely carries a blue egg gene, at least that’s my guess.

Do reviews on the hatchery site indicate any brown or white eggs from their stock?

I'm pretty new so I may have misunderstood the blue egg mutation. As I read, it seems it is a dominant mutation. One copy of the gene turns a white shell blue. Two copies of the gene does not change color, but will ensure all offspring from the double gene carrier has at last 1 copy, and therefore a blue shell.

With EE, their stated chance of a brown egg may indicate a higher chance of 2 blue egg genes. Since a roooster doesn't lay eggs, it can take a couple generations to confirm he carries 2 copies.

2 blue egger parents with 2 copies would preduce 100% blue egg shells. If one parent has only one copy, their offspring would have a 50% chance of a white shell.

The brown wash is a separate deal with many genes involved. It will simply make the exterior of a white shelled egg appear brown. And the exterior of a blue shelled egg appear green.

EE are a mixed breed, so I’m not sure how they can breed true.

As I understand it: Egg color comes from the dad (like a blue shell or a white shell). Brown eggs are white eggs “painted” by the female system with a coating of brown. An olive egg is a blue egg “painted with an overlay of brown (from mom).

Since a hatchery has the goal of pleasing its customers, and the customers want blue or green eggs from their EE, it is likely all their breeding males carry the blue egg gene-at least that’s my guess.

Ameraucana (breed) was created from Araucana breed-which always lay blue. Unfortunately, the Araucana breed has some genetic issues, low hatch rates, therefore sometime in the 70’s or so, the Ameraucana was created to bypass these genetic limitations. They should lay blue eggs. However, if you go to the Ameraucana breeders website, I’m pretty sure their egg color cards include green to blue shades.

Overall, your EE male isn’t pure, but likely carries a blue egg gene, at least that’s my guess.

Do reviews on the hatchery site indicate any brown or white eggs from their stock?
I can't find a review about breeding results. The reviews are all about the arrival of the chicks

I apparently asked a similar question already, so I apologize for the duplicate here.

The response that I got from the member believes they are using the term "breed true" loosely. They believe that the EE'S that I have will breed true with each other. However I can't find anyone who has bred them.

So I'm stuck with being the only person who has tested Meyer's claim.

I apparently asked a similar question already, so I apologize for the duplicate here.

The response that I got from the member believes they are using the term "breed true" loosely. They believe that the EE'S that I have will breed true with each other. However I can't find anyone who has bred them.

So I'm stuck with being the only person who has tested Meyer's claim.
I believe they may sometimes breed true for blue or green eggs. Your percentage will be a wild guess. Good luck!

I believe they may sometimes breed true for blue or green eggs. Your percentage will be a wild guess. Good luck!
Thanks. I figured it would be a wild guess as to what the eggs will look like.

I called the hatchery and told them that all the research that I can find, says that EE'S are cross breeds (hybrids) and they stuck by their claim that their EE's breed true.

However they attached one caveat. Their EE'S will only breed true with their EE'S and can't guarantee that they will breed true with EE'S that are not from their hatchery line.

Back
Top Bottom