EE Rooster color genetics.. Sex link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by everythingjane, Apr 22, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

I was curious if anybody has ideas on the genetics for this rooster's color..

If I bred him to solid black hens, any ideas what I might get?
    Hoping for something other than black..

A friend of mine has two EE roosters that look like this too and knows someone else who picked out chicks with the same coloring, and all turned out to be roos like this one.. So I'm thinking maybe this is a sex-linked coloring..

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Nothing sex linked except for Silver.. but you would have to use a gold rooster over silver hens to get the sex linked hatches.

This rooster in addition to silver has columbian(what makes his body mostly white).

Breeding him to black hens.. you will get either blacks or possibly like him.... in both sexes. The black chicks most likely will grow up to be mostly black with white on hackles and saddles.

He's a nice looking roo.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I believe the colour on his wings is autosomal red. He is basically the columbian pattern, plus Ar

4. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Is the Columbian gene the reason that so many EEs have this patterned neck, even when they are blue, buff, or brown?
    On the browns it reminds me of partridge, only with solid body feathers..

What does autosomal red mean? What effect does it have?

Thanks!

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

There seems to be some disagreement about autosomal red. Some people think there is only one autosomal red & this is the gene which causes the type of pheomelanin expression seen in the breasts of the e+ females, the bodies of the wheaten females & shows across the shoulders of the males. Other people think there is more than one autosomal red. I suppose when one thinks about it Mh causes reddening & is autosomal (but is clearly not what is being referred to).
    I have not really tried investigating it. My experiences with Silver Grey Dorkings back in Britain showed that it is possible to have males with silver shoulders & females with nice rich salmon breasts without double mating. However breeding of the Silver Duckwing Welsumers seemed to indicate the opposite. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Not touching autosomal red.. like Krys says, nobody agrees on it and I haven't the slightest clue about it.

Columbian is a restrictor gene, it prevents black from showing up generally on the body. That rooster doesn't have a black breast due to Columan 'not allowing that to happen'. It doesn't restrict pigment on the hackles, saddles and tail(at least not terribly much, but it can be bred for more or less black in those areas too). If you can imagine say, a black breasted red rooster with his nice deep black breast.. Add Columbian, poof, there goes that black breast(now brown). Light Brahmas, Columbian Rocks, RIR, New Hamps all have columbian.. the difference between the black and white & black and red versions is that the former also has Silver(which prevents gold/red pigments from expressing).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't know enough about autosomal red to more than speculate, but there does seem to be some general agreement that it is what causes the red shoulders in silver males.

For speculation, maybe it acts differently based upon specific genes or gene combinations? For example E^Wh is dominant over e+ and e^b, except when there are melanizer genes present--then it is recessive to both. Maybe it works with similar sorts of switches?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by