EE rooster or hen??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by redirtchickens, Mar 7, 2013.

1. redirtchickens

redirtchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm very new to chicks, i bought these aracaunas from IFA they are 4 weeks old they will be 5 weeks on Monday. This one has red specks on its comb, I actually thought it was bleeding, but its not. The 2 other EE's have nothing on there comb its just the color of their beak. Let me know what you think...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry but I can't see any red spots in the photos. Maybe what you are referring to is the comb developing a reddened color. This could indicate the bird is a young cockerel. The ones with the comb same color as beak - may be the pullets. The comb in males will also get larger and more pronounced than the females. [​IMG]

3. redirtchickens

Mar 7, 2013
    Here are a few more pictures, you can compare 2 that are the same age. let me know what you think.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

It's ok if it turns red... Some hens have red combs it just depends on the breed! I have a chicken with a red comb but its not tall at all an she has no wattles ether but if your chicken starts to look like this one-
    [​IMG]
    You got a rooster( that pic is of my baby roo at the same age as your chicken)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] It does look like blood, like it got pecked or something... Keep an eye on it.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Look like scrape marks on the comb - a GUESS at gender would be pullet. Welcome to BYC.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. redirtchickens

Mar 7, 2013
    THANKS FOR ALL THE WARM WELL-COMINGS!
    After watching it for a few days the redness has gone down. I'm hoping for a pullet.

10. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi and [​IMG] hope you like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by